Quick Snail ID Question

Aysu

Saw this tiny critter in my tank this morning while feeding the fish. After looking at the guide, I’m pretty sure that it’s a bladder snail? He must’ve come in with the most recent fish purchase, because I’m pretty sure my nerite snails' eggs won't hatch without briny water. Can somebody double check if I ID'd the snail correctly?

Attachments

• 54B3B54A-B3A7-4491-B752-67B73FBF2412.jpeg
    54B3B54A-B3A7-4491-B752-67B73FBF2412.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 16

YellowGuppy

Yep! Looks like a bladder snail to me.

Upvote 0

IzabelB

Yup, bladder snail. You’ll find a lot of info on google, some people like them, I definitely don’t.

Upvote 0

Aysu

Yep! Looks like a bladder snail to me.

Yup, bladder snail. You’ll find a lot of info on google, some people like them, I definitely don’t.
Thank you both! I only see the one so far, but everyone says they spread like crazy. I kind of like snails, though, so I think I’ll leave it be, reduce feeding, and if gets really out of hand, invest in an assassin snail. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

I love having snails, though I prefer ramshorns over bladder snails, just because I prefer how they look, and they don't need until they're a little bit larger so it's easier to control population sizes if needed. That being said, anything that converts waste into life is going to be a useful part of your ecosystem!

If you get too many of them, squishing one in a long pair of aquarium tweezers results in a tasty snack for pretty much any other aquarium inhabitant (fish, shrimp, and other snails will all join in!). My shrimp get a couple of pellets plus at least one squished snail every day - I might double that sometime soon, as the snail population doesn't seem to be suffering!

Upvote 0

Aysu

I love having snails, though I prefer ramshorns over bladder snails, just because I prefer how they look, and they don't need until they're a little bit larger so it's easier to control population sizes if needed. That being said, anything that converts waste into life is going to be a useful part of your ecosystem!

If you get too many of them, squishing one in a long pair of aquarium tweezers results in a tasty snack for pretty much any other aquarium inhabitant (fish, shrimp, and other snails will all join in!). My shrimp get a couple of pellets plus at least one squished snail every day - I might double that sometime soon, as the snail population doesn't seem to be suffering!
That's a really good idea, thank you. I’m sure the shrimp and fish in my tank would love the extra little treat!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
attheworld
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dippiedee
Replies
Views
Lpedwards