Quick question,

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

hey all, iam new to this and the forum
BUTT! i am told that my tank is doing very well with cycling and being/staying STABLE so far... for a newber this makes me happy,

MY Q would be something off the wall and maybe stupid but iam prolly sure no one has asked it maybe

OK then,
my tank is NOT in a "fishroom" i am stuck in an somewhat small apartment, tank is located in the living room, i own a somewhat small dog too... the question is
iam soon to be shampooing the carpet, and i havnt vacuumed in awhile we sometimes often use that vacuum smell good powder stuff on carpets and then vacuum... you know that fine smelly dust stuff...
i need your opinions, should i not use that stuff anymore in the house? and when we shampoo what to do? any thoughts of protective measures so the tank does not get contaminated with ****? lol
25 or 29 gal tank on a stand with ECLIPSE 2 hood...

i was thinking of NO MORE smell good powder... and put a couple towels completely over the top of the tank...
NOTE! i do feel silly for thinking of this and this being my first post, but its something i have been thinking about since i started this almost a week ago...

i maybe just thinking worrying too much?

anyones thoughts, opinions much appreciated

thank you for your time all

L.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Let me start of by saying welcome to fishlore

I'm a little worried that your tank was started less than 2 weeks ago and it's already filled with fish. Your tank will need much more than a couple weeks in order for it to be considered "stable." Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? How often are you testing your water? What are your current water parameters? Hopefully we'll be able to guide you through this to keep your fish safe.

As for your question, I don't think vacuuming/shampooing your carpet with chemicals would affect your tank, but maybe somebody else here can give some more input about that.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I think it would be a good idea to cover your tank and filters with towels or better yet a plastic drop cloth to prevent any of the powder for the carpet from going into your tank. Sprinkle it low to the ground so that dust isn't flying every where.

Once you're done and before you remove the plastic or towel from the tank, open your windows, turn on ceiling fans if you have them and just air out the place for 15 minutes or so and I think you'll be fine.

You may want to turn off any air pumps that you may be using until after you've aired the house/apartment.

As for shampooing the carpet, I don't see any real issues there.

I hope you enjoy the site! We love photos

Ken

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL, yeah iam just goofy like that, thinking that ambient dust particles in the air could lay to rest in the tank maybe sending it to its ruin... yes "iam not the smartest peanut in the bunch" lol
i have read about nitrogen cycle but dont fully get it, still reading up on it some articles arent as laman terms as i would like -
thank you for the welcome and your input for sure!
NOTE the LFS didnt give a guarantee with the 2 fish we purchased for the ammonia was just a bit too high and a trace of nitrate
BUTT the fish are alive, for now, day 5...
my parameters (as of tonight)
SG 1.022
GH180
KH 240 (ish?)
ph 7.5
N02-0 nitrite
No3 40 nitrate
temp 78.4
(i also just added approx 15 more lbs of live rock tonight, i expect an ammonia spike yes? should i?)
SO.. almost 40lbs Lsand, approx 26 lbs of live rock as of now eclipse 2 filteration with bio wheel and the bule carbon media...

i think iam doing ok? not totally sure, i know that iam not patient enough though... iam constantly researching reading and looking into what fish to get
as of now i have 2 damsels (2red2blue legged crabs also) i used that nitrifling bacteria before i added the fish, becuz i read about that method and the LFS guys said that the tank was somewhat ready for it,wiat NOT ready but if i wanted to i could, to help get it cycled.... PLEASE any input you have is appreciated, if its going good, but need to back off lemme know, if things arent what i think lemme know for iam new and any input i get is studied and takin to light fully, lol thats why iam here and signed up i like these forum things, they served well with my paintball and motorcycle studies and how to's

thanks again all

oh yeah i allcamated fish and crabs for like 45min almost an hour, drip method before i did the dripmethod i left them in the tank in bag, as i did a 10-15% water change,
i think it maybe time to do anyother 10% change, but iam iffy as i feel like i need to leave it alone for 4 days or a week maybe?...

Last edited by a moderator:

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquarist48>
THANKS! didnt even think of plastic! good idea! and turning of the pumps! see i think so much about it that i didnt even get as far as turn the pumps off too good idea! thank you! thank you!

as for it when i vacuum i think ill stop the use of the smelly powders and just cover the tank as mentioned any way, maybe use the powder only in the bedroom with the door closed i dunno iam torn with it id really rather just not use them anymore, but still cover the tank anyway when vacuum/laundry day rolls around...

THANKS guys, keep your opinions coming...

am i off to a halfawy good start?

i use those "crappy" test strips for my parameters and get my water tested at the LFS every like 2-4 days, i havnt found an "cheap" API master test yet... the LFS is like 47$ pet chain store was 37.99 and some websites 26$+8.99 shipping EBAY>25.25 shipped is the best price ive found yet been looking into it

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you funkman262,
i love ta see that there are people like you wanting to help and read up on stuff like this and me, that is awesome that you are really interested in helping thanks braa

i havnt posted my reading yet as i havnt got a good test kit yet, i already hate those strips for some reason, and my water seems to be changing so iam waiting to post those in my info... i guess that the right way to go about it.... getting the dang master test kit would be the right way lol

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Luke,

We have to be careful in the aquarium hobby as to what we use in our homes as far as sprays and pesticides, powders. Your concerns about the carpet powder is a very real one and it's good that your brought it up.

You are correct, it would be best to not use it all if you don't really have to.

As for the API (liquid) Master Test Kit. It's the most recommended on this site. Yes, paper test strips can be inaccurate.

You can purchase each test separately if that would fit your budget better.

I'm not a salt tank keeper so I really can't give you much advise on your salt tank. I'm sure other members will chime in before too long.

Check out the On Line Aquairum Fish Stores that are listed close to the top of the screen. You may find that www.thatfishplace (at the top also) have very good prices. I use them for my supplies along with www.drsfostersmith.com. I have found them both to be much cheaper than most chain pet stores.

Good luck with your tank. I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.

Ken

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ken,
ohh yeah! iama be sure to post up some pictures, shoot iam happy with just the live rock in this tank, thanks for the links, ive been looking into the fosters website for the last few days for info and livestocking choices,

iam still shopping for the best price on the master test kit, i do think 25 with free shipping is the best iam going to get for something i should really already have imo

Luke

Edited, Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some of you're current water parameters are less than ideal. I'd recommend starting a new thread about maintaing your system since it's so new. Post those water parameters and give it an appropriate title (maybe "Need help: FOWLR tank running for 2 weeks"), that way people looking through the posts know what your question is about (opposed to "Quick question,").

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it was me I would not add anymore fish and do a 10 percent water change. 40ppm nitrate is higher than I would let my fish live in.

Was the live rock you added cure? If not keep a very close eye on my water parameters and be prepared to do water changes.

I would be more patient on your tank and slow things down. 2 weeks is not very long to be stocking. IMO.

LukeTheDuke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes the ALL the live rock was cured, i agree that i need to just back off, test the water, and maybe do 10%water changes every 3 days? youse think every 3 days is too much for water changes?

i think the only reason the tank is cycling this fast and the fish are thiving is all the sand, and live rock? i mean theres almost 40lbs. of live sand and approx 32lbs of live rock,

from what ive read live subtrate and live rock is the way to go... but i need to keep up with my reading to better understand everything,

THANK YOU all for the great welcome,

keep the input and opinions coming thanks all

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom