Quick question

1. gcdj Initiate Member

is there a way you can properly clean ocean shells so you can place them in a freshwater tank

not sure and just wondering

2. Regal Well Known Member Member

I would not do it. The shells will raise the ph in your tank.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You'd want to be very careful to make sure that your fish couldn't get stuck inside. Maybe fill it with aquarium-safe silicone?

And yes, I think they will raise pH. What is yours at? Are you wanting it to be raised a bit?

4. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

i use shells, and wood, so it evens out, lol. just let them soak in hot soapy water for a week, change the water to keep it fresh. then let the sit in water without soap to rinse it. soap kills fish.

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

would it be better to boil them, wolf? to avoid the soap altogether?

6. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Yes, avoid soap at all costs. Soap and aquariums don't mix. Even if you really really rinse it, still not worth the risk.

7. gcdj Initiate Member

this is for a cichlid tank so ph can be rather high ... but i dont want it to boost it too much because texas holey rock is goingin there which will also raise

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. Boiling your sea shells will do fine. I respectfully disagree with BadWolf. "Never" us soap for any reason when it comes to dealing with aquariums or aquarium supplies.
    Ken

9. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Lol, was wondering this myself, my ph is quite low, 6.8, 6.9. How much would it raise the ph by roughly?