Quick question

Tristen

Reaction score
I have a pristella tetras with a shortened gill plate. Is it hazardous to my other fish? It is currently in a 10 gallon tank alone And it has been for 8 months, but I’ve been wanting to add it to my tetra tank. I just need to know if it’s safe to be with other fish without the gill plate present. I posted a couple of pretty bad photos because it was hard to get him to show the gill, but I will post more when I get some.

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its been alone in a tank for 8 months? Im pretty sure it is disease free at this point so yes he will be fine in with the others. Hes probably lonely.

OP
Tristen

Tristen

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
Its been alone in a tank for 8 months? Im pretty sure it is disease free at this point so yes he will be fine in with the others. Hes probably lonely.
It was in a bucket alone in terrible conditions for a while in my brothers room. All his other fish died and that one was left so I took it and have just upgraded it to a 10 gallon a week ago. The bucket had nothing in it accept a few fake plants and a heater. There was no water changes done only water added to it. When I emptied or looked in the bucket I could see huge amounts of poop and stuff. I’m quarantining it because of the horrendous conditions it was in. If it had any diseases it would’ve been dead by now right?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tristen said:
It was in a bucket alone in terrible conditions for a while in my brothers room. All his other fish died and that one was left so I took it and have just upgraded it to a 10 gallon a week ago. The bucket had nothing in it accept a few fake plants and a heater. There was no water changes done only water added to it. When I emptied or looked in the bucket I could see huge amounts of poop and stuff. I’m quarantining it because of the horrendous conditions it was in. If it had any diseases it would’ve been dead by now right?
You would think so. Poor little dude. I think hes fine.

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cool looking Tetra...I've never seen one before. I agree that he's probably safe and deserves to get some new friends!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had some Pristellas way back they are super cute little fish.

OP
Tristen

Tristen

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
You would think so. Poor little dude. I think hes fine.
Leeman75 said:
Cool looking Tetra...I've never seen one before. I agree that he's probably safe and deserves to get some new friends!
Is the shortened/no gill plate a problem. Is he more susceptible to disease. If so is there anything I need to do special

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tristen said:
Is the shortened/no gill plate a problem. Is he more susceptible to disease. If so is there anything I need to do special
He does not seem to be susceptible so far. He was living in squalor and is ok. I think it won't be a issue. Get him to his friends!

OP
Tristen

Tristen

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
He does not seem to be susceptible so far. He was living in squalor and is ok. I think it won't be a issue. Get him to his friends!
I picked up 3 others. My 20 gallon is almost too stocked so I could only pick up 3 more to get a total of 4. But he’ll be with a bunch of other neon and ember tetras and some panda corydoras. They are being quarantined separately from him for now but in July they will all be together in a nice plantes tank!
image.jpg

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good for fishie! Im too impatient for quarantine and its bit me a few times but nothing drastic so far. Good luck! I may change that if I have a catastrophe :p

New Threads