Quick question Question

1. jdmLuzon Member Member

i have an aqua clea 70 hang on back filter, it has a foam, a carbon, and a biomax. my question is do i really need the carbon? i went to my LFS and they have an ammonia reducer that looks like a biomax and im thinking of getting that in place for a carbon.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

My two cents on activated carbon: I'm a firm believer that every freshwater aquarium should use it. Granted it is a personal choice and many members only use it at certain times, if they use it all. I respect that and it's their decision.

I use it around the clock in all of my tanks, changing it out every 3 weeks. I don't feel that carbon masks any problems but removes them as long as you change it out periodically. I change mine every 3 weeks for fresh. It absorbs minerals and organic substances, helps to keep your water clear, eliminates foul odors. It will also remove medications and discoloration in the water (caused by driftwood for an example). If you're running more than 1 filter on a tank, the carbon does not have to go into every filter only 1. The other filters you can stuff full of good bio media. (sponges, ceramic cubes and tubes, bio balls).

I've stopped saying that the Activated Carbon (AC) leaches what it has collected back into the tank. There are people on both sides of the fence here. Instead I think it's more accurate to say the the AC looses it effectiveness after 3 to 4 weeks and it should be removed and replaced.

It has been my experience that Activated Carbon will not remove a bacterial bloom.
    http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?...oms-explained/

If your tank smells foul then I highly recommend adding it to your filter immediately. A water change would probably be a good idea too.

Activated Carbon

Ken[​IMG]

My tanks are crystal clear! [​IMG]

3. jdmLuzon Member Member

thank you....but those ammonia remover..do they really work?

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

They may work. I've never used them before. Your biomax and regular water changes should be removing the ammonia just fine. If it is a choice between the ammonia remover and the AC, I would use the carbon.

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Love activated carbon. It does work and is effective IF you rinse it out before use.
    It will cloud the tank with loose particles if not rinsed.

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I use both Activated Carbon and Marineland White Diamond Crystals (ammonia remover) in my African Cichlid tank, and it doesn't actually "Remove" ammonia from your tank, It detoxifies the ammonia making it completely harmless for your fish. I've got my tank overstocked and it never smells or sledges up.

7. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

If you have adequate biological filtration you shouldn't need the ammonia removing resin. If your using an AC70 only in the 65g you have, if that's the tank were discussing. I suggest you should at least add another AC70 or better yet a canister. The carbon would stay in the HOB so you could switch it out with ease every couple of weeks. It would also help us help you (when you get the chance) to fill out your profile. I for one am hesitant to respond to a post if a profile is not present.

8. jdmLuzon Member Member

?
    how do i fill up my profile

9. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I go to "forum actions" at the top of this screen then hit "edit profile" (here is where you fill it out) then hit "save changes" at the bottom of that page to lock it in. I'm sure a moderator can explain it better but.....

10. jdmLuzon Member Member

i think its done...right?

Attached Files:

11. blusshed Well Known Member Member

No, he actually means the "fish profile" your tank specs, stocking, etc...

You're on mobile, not sure if you can edit that entire section or not.

12. jdmLuzon Member Member

so what should i use? a laptop maybe?

13. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Yep! Laptop is where I filled mine out :)

Or if you don't actually use the FL app, and go to mobile web? You can actually click "default style" and then edit it that way :)

14. jdmLuzon Member Member

okay, so i just go to the website, log in and fill it out right?

15. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Yep!
    The "about me" portion, and the info on your tank(s)!
    keeping it up to date really helps out everyone!

16. jdmLuzon Member Member

just finished it.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum