Quick question Question

1. jdmLuzon Member Member

when you do your weekly water change do you always have to gravel vac.? just curious.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

In a heavily planted tank, no. But yes in virtually every other instance.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. jdmLuzon Member Member

thanks bro....i have been doing it, just not sure if i should gravel vac every week or every other week.

5. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

The one exception might be on a week in which you clean your filters. The extra detritus on that week will feed the BB to keep your colony numbers up and ammonia spikes down.

6. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Yes every week I gravel vac, I do 2x water changes a week in every tank beside the 10g and the 3.5g. The 10g is a fry tank and gets daily water changes. The 3.5g gets half a gravel vac and a W/C once a week just to keep some stability. Otherwise my 55g cichlid tank is sand and I suck the poop out every time I do water change and stir up the sand every 2 weeks to a month.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Having Wet/Dry filtration, which I feel is superior to most other types of filtration, I vacuum the 265g tank completely once per month. My water parameters are perfect.

I'm very cautious not to over feed my fish and my tank is not overstocked.

Too, in addition to the Wet/Dry filtration, I also use a Diatom D1 or XL once per week along with my weekly water change.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarist48/59205-diatom-filters.html

You will receive various methods of tank cleaning/vacuuming. What works for me, may not work for you. Do what you feel is best for your fish and tank while keeping your water parameters in mind.

Ken

8. jdmLuzon Member Member

thank you ken, my water parameter is good and i do vaccum gravel every week when i do water change....but my nitrate level is 10 ppm. hoe do i lower that?

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

10 nitrate is nothing to worry about, if it was above 40 that'd be different.
    Just keep doing what you're doing as it sounds like you have a nice healthy tank :)

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Good information from Coradee above.

Ken