Quick question: to use general cure?

Ioiwin

Reaction score
HI all,

I’ve had a cycled 10 gallon tank for 6 months or so, I’ve had ember tetras in there that have lived happily the whole time. I added some celestial pearl danios, and since then about 3 weeks now, I’ve lost 4 CPD and now 2 ember tetras. My water parameters are still in line with a cycled tank.

Would there be any particular reasons many of them are dying? I have doses of general cure, should go ahead and use it to see if it helps? Kind of lost right now, thank you!

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ember Tetras are warm water fish, they want like 82-84. CPD's are a cold water fish and want low to mid 70s. If you're splitting the temp it could be stressing both enough to kill them. Or it could be theyre nipping at each other as a 10 is pretty small and with 2 totally different schooling fish in there its just not enough room.

Youd be better off going with one of those fish, doing a school of 6-8 of them and that's it in the 10.

OP
I

Ioiwin

Reaction score
I gotcha. Yea there aren’t any symptoms like long stringy poop etc.... if temperature is the culprit, would they display any symptoms?

How would one know if it’s parasites?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could definitely be parasites, but youd see something like long/stringy poop and Id think it would be apparent after 3 weeks. Not quarantining new fish is definitely a "no-no" and this is a reason why it should be done. I still think it might have to do with temps not being optimal, putting both schools under stress, having 2 schools of completely different fish sharing a small amount of water, etc. Maybe get another 10 and move the CPDs to it (they probably don't need a heater if your house is 70-72).

OP
I

Ioiwin

Reaction score
Gotcha. When you say apparent after 3 weeks of having parasites, what do you mean would be apparent?

What is quarantining a new fish? I was always told to put them with their bags from the fish store in the tank for at least 15 mins acquaint them.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You don't want to EVER add new fish to an established tank. New fish need to be brought home and put in their own tank for 4-6 weeks to watch for signs of disease, parasites, etc. If a new fish is carrying a parasite with no signs, you add it to your established tank and the parasite/disease gets worse and infects everyone, you have a huge problem.

Its too late now, but still, given that your Embers and CPD's aren't temp compatible and you have 2 very different fish in one small tank, Ive move one of them out into a different tank.

OP
I

Ioiwin

Reaction score
No ones ever told me to do that! Crazy. So since I'm not seeing symptoms of parasites, could we lean towards just a temperature difference? Could they have parasites without symptoms? The temperature of my tank now is 78-79.

Should I hold off on treating the tank for now, or just treat anyways, would it harm the tank if I do treat it?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
QT (quarantine) is essential. Unless you're willing to risk killing off your entire stock due to disease or parasites, etc., QTing new fish is a must.

If you don't know what you're treating the tank for, definitely don't treat it.

Again, you have 2 types of fish that don't belong together in a very small tank and now in schools that aren't big enough. You really need to move one out. CPD's want low to mid 70s, Embers want low 80s. Even if the tank was big enough to support a full school of each type, splitting the difference isn't good for either of them because its too big a difference.

OP
I

Ioiwin

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on chilI rasboras and ember tetras in same tank?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In a 10 gallon, no. You have room for one small school and that's it. Even in a 20, you're better off having a school of 10 or 12 of the same fish instead of 2 different schools of 6 fish each. When its a small tank and the fish inhabit the same area of the tank, you're better off sticking with 1 type.

New Threads