Quick question on how SunSun Canister Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by tyguy7760, Jul 28, 2015.

1. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

So I just got my SunSun 403b and installed it on my 36g bf this past weekend. I can already tell that the water is much clearer and the fish seem to like the current (especially the oto's. they seem to like to hang out on top of the spray bar). I have mechanical filter's in the bottom, and 2 rows of bio filter (one has rings and bioballs, the second has matrix).

This is just a general question. How does this canister actually filter the water? I have no doubt it's working as I can see a difference but how? I know how mechanical/bio/chemical filtration works...but when I put this filter together, what is causing the water to pass through all 3? It seems the water gets sprayed into the canister at the lid, and then the lid sucks it back up...how does the water get all the way through the 3 layers and not just picked right back up from the top?

Does that make sense? I've looked online and all sunsuns are like this as well as many other filters. I'm not missing any pieces.

I hope this makes sense.

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Canisters are gravity fed. So the water enters the canister by basically just being drained from your tank. Then it is pumped up and through the media and back into the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Erbarry

Erbarry Valued Member Member

If you look at the lid, the inlet hose feeds the water where the baskets have a tube. The water goes all the way to the bottom through the tube and begins to fill up from bottom to top going through the media, then sucked out through the impeller and out the spray bar.

4. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

I am running on next to no sleep here so bear with me and I'm sorry in advance if this ends up making absolutely no sense but here it goes:

Canister filters are gravity fed for the most part and arranged in such a way that the water cannot bypass the media on its trip through the filter, which means it has no other alternative but to be filtered along the way (unlike some other modes of filtration that often allow a larger percentage of the used tank water to find its way around the filter media translating to lower efficiency). The input tube pours the water over the top of the filters. Once the water exits the intake tube and enters the canister itself, it then trickles down through the filter's media layer by layer getting cleaned a little more by each stage it passes through. Once the clean water reaches the bottom where it briefly pools, the only part of this system that is NOT fed by gravity comes into play - the pump then sends the newly cleaned water back from the pool in the bottom up the tube to re-enter the tank via the output nozzle or spray bar depending on your setup.

Canister filters have the benefit of more filter media overall as opposed to HOBs meaning a can has a better capacity for waste removal per gallon cycled through than a HOB would have even.The cans also win brownie points in the way of energy efficiency because all but the last step of the process is simply gravity fed, thereby saving energy when compared to other styles of filters that require the pump for all steps of the water's journey from the tank, through the filter and back out again. Because canisters do have more space, that means they also can be completely customized to better suit your individual preferences, and the needs of your aquarium/stock.

If this makes no sense, let me know and I will come back when I am more coherent and fix things, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

SunSun filter from the top to bottom? I thought all canisters filtered from the bottom to the top...

And if this is the case with SunSun, I gave some bad advice in another thread.

6. Erbarry

Erbarry Valued Member Member

Sunsuns filter bottom to top but some other canisters filter top to bottom.

7. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

Most canister filters filter bottom to top. I don't know of any offhand that filter top to bottom. A notable exception is Marineland Magnums, which filter outside to inside.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice