Quick question, is there coraline algae in freshwater?

silverado61

Is there such a thing as coraline algae in a freshwater system?

chromedome52

The answer is absolutely yes, I've had it infest a couple of my tanks for several years now. When it first showed up, I asked on several FW forums for ID, but no one knew what it was. I eventually had the photo on a forum with both fresh and salt hobbyists, and one of them told me it looked like a coralline algae, except that those are supposed to be SW.

A friend with a shop that has FW and SW tanks told me that it seems to grow in the presence of certain chemicals. Apparently my well water is full of them, as I keep getting it in my tank.

The authors of that article mentioned some brackish forms, but mine is strictly FW. I controlled it for a few years by using R/O water to mostly fill the tank, but when my unit started breaking down and the water got harder, it came back like gangbusters.

silverado61

The answer is absolutely yes, I've had it infest a couple of my tanks for several years now. When it first showed up, I asked on several FW forums for ID, but no one knew what it was. I eventually had the photo on a forum with both fresh and salt hobbyists, and one of them told me it looked like a coralline algae, except that those are supposed to be SW.

A friend with a shop that has FW and SW tanks told me that it seems to grow in the presence of certain chemicals. Apparently my well water is full of them, as I keep getting it in my tank.

The authors of that article mentioned some brackish forms, but mine is strictly FW. I controlled it for a few years by using R/O water to mostly fill the tank, but when my unit started breaking down and the water got harder, it came back like gangbusters.
Thanks for all the info. If it's anything like saltwater, calcium plays a big part in the formation of coralline algae. Since I plan on putting some dead coral pieces in my 55g build, I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for it as the tank gets established.
I was into SW tanks for a few years and now want to try my hand at FW and trying to cross the two looks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Paisano
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Paisano
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
  • StarGirl