Quick question here

1. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

I have never had cichlids breed til now. I didn't even notice any fish holding until i saw fry swimming around the tank when cleaning it. I saved 3 in a breeders net couldn't find any more. But the question is what color are O.B. peacock fry? (like within the first 3 days on earth)

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

As with any african cichlid fry, they dont really have a colour in the first three days, usually a pale greyish brown, and as with any african cichlid fry, they will become grey-brown for the first few weeks and then start developing the characteristic colour

I wouldnt recommend keeping African fry in a breeder net, as they wont last long and if they do they will start to become frail. They need space to swim in order to develop in accordance to their environment. I also recommend doing more frequent WC's on your tank if you intend on keeping them in that tank

3. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Ya I'm going to put them in a 15g ASAP. Thank you!

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

no problem!

What are you feeding them? What do plan on feeding them?

5. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Right now I have been feeding them omega one tropical flakes crushed up. What should I feed them?

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thats not bad.

As they are africans (no matter how young) they will take pretty much anything.

Try crushing peas into a paste and feeding that. I would try leaving a peice of lettuce floating, see what they do with that.

Pretty much most veggies will do great, you just gotta get them as fine as possible.

Green water could work also

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Pure Spirulina powder from kensfish would probably be great for them. It's very fine and easy for fry to eat.

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thats true. Thet will do VERY well on spirulina, as does any african

9. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I love pure spirulina. Does wonders for my livebearer fry.

10. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Can you buy that in most fish stores? Or do you have to order it?

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I've never seen it in a LFS, it's a specialty item. I've seen Spirulina flakes but those don't have that much Spirulina in them. Another place you may find it is in health food stores. Spirulina is also good for humans. ;D

I'd call a few local health food stores and see if they have any pure spirulina, if you don't want to buy it online. http://www.google.com/products/cata...8&tbm=shop&cid=462942832639981521&output=nojs

Make sure it's the powder and not the pills.

12. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

13. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I think he wants it right now. lol That link is what I got for my fish.

14. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Ohhh... I don't know where else to get it.... :confused:

15. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

Sweet thanks!!! Can you feed them it as adults too?

16. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I feed it to all my Endlers. They love it and it does great stuff for their color. It's a pretty fine powder though, not sure how an adult cichlid would do with it.

17. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

swwweeeet! Sorry another quick question. I set up the 15 gallon yesterday put gravel and a filter on it (that has not been running for over a year), plus a filter i had on the cichlid tank the fry was born in and water that was in it, All in the 15 gallon. do you think its safe to transfer them?

18. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Are your filter intakes covered? That would be the only thing I'd worry about. There are a lot of things you can cover your filter intakes with. Sponge filters can be attached, nylons that have never been washed with soap. uhh I'm sure there's other stuff you can use too.

19. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

ya il be sure to do that. Do you think i could put the filter back on the big tank yet? cause it makes quite the current in a 15 gallon

20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

As long as you've got one cycled filter in there you should be fine. Do you have a sponge filter? Sponge filters are great for fry ;D