QUICK question...cycling new tank with filter from established tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by bizaliz3, Jan 9, 2013.

1. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I did this last night. I set up a 10 gallon using a filter and filter media from my established 29 gallon and let it run overnight. It has been going for about 20 hours. I have read today that using old media only works if I put fish in RIGHT AWAY. So...does that mean I messed up and the old filter media is useless now???

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum

No, you have plenty of time to put fish in the tank.

3. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

would tonight be too soon? This tank is for my goldfish who is very big. Probably 5 inches.

It would have been running for 24 hours with cycled filter media...

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

There is no too soon for adding the fish. Your filter was ready for the fish the second you moved it to the new tank.

5. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Is it a hospital tank? If not, NO goldfish should be in anything less than 20g, especially one that big.

EDIT: I just read on your profile that you are housing 2 goldfish in a 5g tank, this is not acceptable conditions, however, if you'd like to shuffle some things around, your 2 goldfish would be happy in a 30g... no goldfish, regardless of species, should be kept in anything less than 20g. You can't keep housing your other goldfish in that 5g though, you have to rehome the both of them into a much larger tank, no less than 30 for the two (that is, depending on the species), if they are comets then you will need a larger tank thank 30g.

6. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I have always been told 10 gallons per goldfish.
    Either way, it is what it is. That wasn't my concern at this point.

I just don't understand why people were saying the old filter media does NOT WORK unless you put fish in right away....I didn't quite get that...Have any of you heard that before? Because I always read about using media from a cycled tank and give the tank a couple days and then it is ready for fish. I didn't think the fish were required for the used media to do it's job....you know?

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

There is a lot of misinformation about things, and a lot of people just repeat information - right or wrong. There is no need to give it any time when you transfer filter media. It doesn't do anything during that time, other than sit and wait for more ammonia. Fish are required for the media to do it's job, because without the fish, there is no job for the media to do.

8. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

You should be concerned about it, because it's a very big problem. 10g per fish in incorrect, it's 20g per goldfish and an extra 10g per extra goldfish after that... if you don't move them into a bigger tank, then you will stunt their growth or kill them. they each need their own 20g, or they can both live in a 30g... maybe. This is a very big concern and it is on topic since you are trying to rehome a 5inch goldfish into a 10gal tank.

9. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

So what your saying is...it DOES need fish to "do it's job" but it doesn't haven't to be IMMEDIATELY. LIke...24 hours later it will still be ok? Are goldfish pretty hardy? Do you think he can handle it?
    Isn't it funny that so many people have goldfish in bowls when they suppsedly need 20gallons? (again I was under the impression that it was 10 gallons)

Again.....isn't it funny that a large majority of people keep goldfish in BOWLS if that is the expectation?!! In that case...he is lucky to even be in a 10 gallon! Not to mention the lack of filtration in a bowl! I guess I was given misinformation on the number of gallons as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  10. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

No, it's not funny, it's very sad, and no, he isn't lucky to have been kept in a 5g with another goldfish, and he isn't any luckier to be transferred into a 10g by himself. No goldfish should be in anything less than 20g, if you care about their well being, health and longevity that is.

It's our job as owners to provide them a home that suits their needs, not ours, and if you can't suit their needs, then you need to give them away to someone who can, before they end up disfigured or even worse, dead.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  11. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I didn't LITERALLY mean funny!! Sheesh. Can we please just drop it now? You obviously feel very strongly about 20 gallons...but for some reason everything I have read said 10. But I do not want to argue about it. How about giving me credit for caring about EVERYTHING ELSE so much. You would be SHOCKED how many people don't understand anything about keeping fish yet the do it anyway. The folks at petsmart don't even know what the the "cycle" is!

12. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I'm just saying, take it to heart... You came here looking for accurate information, I'm trying to provide it, because I care as well. I just hope you plan on getting a larger tank for your goldfish to keep them happy and healthy, if you care for them real well they can live for over 20 years and they'll thank you for it :)

13. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, there are WAAAAAAAY more people that keep fish like you are talking about than those that don't. People on forums sometimes forget that - that we are a minority. The fact that you are here asking questions already separates you from them. But....the problem with information is that now you can be held accountable to it. Those people that keep their goldfish in bowls are blissfully ignorant, but you - you're learning otherwise so it is becoming less acceptable for you than it is for them, because they don't know any better.

There are a lot of sources that say 10 gallons for a goldfish, some (and many people) say 20 gallons. However, I don't even think 20 gallons is acceptable for 1 goldfish, based on my experience with them. Everyone has their opinions on what's best for the fish and what the fish needs. At the end of the day, it's your tank and your fish - you are the one that has to look at it every day. How much room our fish need to swim is something each of us must decide.

14. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Very well said! :)

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Like with anything in life - you can just do something, or you can do something well. And everything in between.

16. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

so back to my ORIGINAL question....is it too soon to put the goldfish in his new tank after 24 hours with a cycled filter and filter media?

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

No. Or do you want someone else to tell you?

18. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Forgive me Jaysee...I guess I just wanted to see if others agreed. You were the only one who officially said I could move him now. And as we all saw when debating about tank size...there can be conflicting info...so like I said, no offense to you, but I just wanted to see if others agreed. But I think I can trust your word, you are a VIP afterall :) so I will just go with that! For the record, I just tested the water. Zero ammonia, zero nitrites and 10ppm nitrates.

That is why I bought the 10 gallon. And the other goldfish is going to my neighbor. Give me a break! So As I said, I thought 10 gallons was sufficient, so I thought I was doing the right thing. Apparently not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

No worries. Stocking issues have a tendency to rise to the forefront of a discusion. Regardless of your stocking, you ought to have your questions answered. Hearing that what you've heard is not all that great, I can understand why you would be skeptical about what people tell you.

20. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Let's stay on topic folks.
    This thread isn't about bizaliz3's stocking.
    It's about seeding a tank.

Any further discussion about stock or posts putting the OP on the offensive about stocking will be deleted.

Unless, of course bizaliz3 has questions.
    It's their thread.

I've always believed the fish should be added at the same time as the seeded filter media.
    That's what I do and it has worked for me.
    If you have the fish and you have the seeded media, why wait.

I don't doubt that others have waited with no repercussions.
    I've just never done it that way to say if it works or not.

I also don't think you have messed up but personally, I'd add the fish asap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice