Quick Question Concerning Betta

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Morpheus1967, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Good afternoon everyone. I have a 15 gallon tank that measures approximately 16" wide by 15" deep x 15" tall that currently has 1 male betta and 6 neon tetras. I foolishly took some "internet advice" that the neons would make good tank mates. Although there is zero aggression between them, I now know the neons need cooler temps and a much large footprint to "do their thing."

I have a 75 gallon community tank I can put the neons in, and add to the school to bring it to about a dozen. So my question is the 15 gallon betta tank. I realize the betta will be just fine on his own, but my wife is dead set on having something in there with them, and not snails. Would Harlequin Rasboras be ok? Maybe a school of 6 of them?

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I think either would be fine

3. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Well, I have read the neons like to get their "zoom" on, and the longest uninterrupted stretch of tank they are currently in is 15". Not to mention, that while the tank is set at 79 degrees for the betta, that is the absolute high end for the neons. Which is why I want to get them in the larger, cooler (75-76 degrees) tank.

4. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Well they'll be "fine" either way, but if you feel that moving them will make them happier then that's totally up to you. A school of Harlequin Rasboras would be a great replacement