Quick question about NLS food

1. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I just purchased a jar of NLS small fish formula. However, I realized afterwards that most people suggest the Thera A formula specifically. Is there a big difference? Should I return what I got and order the Thera A online?

Thanks!

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

The only "real" difference I can see between the two types is the Thera A contains Spiriluna which is highly nutritious, although the regular formula has some nutritious ingredients as well so I personally would have no problem feeding the regular formula to my fish.

Let's see what other members have to say.

3. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I have a jar of each, the ingerdent lists are exactlly the same and in the same order. The only difference I can see is the guaranteed analysis on the jar of small fish says it has more protien, less fat and less fiber then the Thera A

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Is there any problem with feeding a higher protein diet? As you surely already know, my eventual stocking plan includes angels, possibly a DG, platys, tetras, and a betta (at least who would be eating this food). At this point, it sounds like I might as well keep this food, especially so I don't have to pay for shipping.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

What I was always told is that the Thera A contains garlic where the regular does not.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Both DG and Angles are insectivores(well, angles also preying on small vertibrates), they wont mind the extra protein(grains have little place in their natural diets).

7. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

pirahnah, I was actually happy to see that the small fish formula does have garlic in it :)

I paid $10 for the jar I bought at PetCo; my LFS had the Thera A but it was $20 for a jar the same size! They overcharge for everything, though. (Especialoy driftwood.)

soltarianknight, I'm assuming this means my betta will like it too?

8. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

My bettas go NUTS over their NLS food. I feed them the betta pellets because they're so much smaller than even the small fish formula.

9. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I must have the nano fish formula then, because mine are itty-bitty XD I actually wish they were a little bigger; I think it's hard to feed such small pellets. They're roughly the size of grains of sand. The betta pellets are about the same size as the pellets I have now (I don't really have anything to compare them to); I wonder if they changed the sizes recently?

Now, I only put in the amount of food they eat; IE I feed my betta one pellet at a time. I feel like I'll have to put more than one pellet in at a time, and there will be more wasted food.

10. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I have the betta formula, the small fish and the thera-a. The small fish is by far the tiniest pellet. The thera-a and betta are about the same size but I read that the thera-a has more garlic in it than the others.

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The NLS betta pellets is possibly the top brand betta pellets. I dont think ive met a single breeder/fanatic that hasnt ranked it number 1. Love the stuff, simply LOVE it.

12. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

The small fish food is .5mm, the betta is 1mm and the thera a comes in a variety of sizes, but the stores around me only carry the 1mm, which is why I picked up the small fish for my juvie guppies and endlers.

13. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I didn't end up getting the betta food, just the small fish food. Hopefully he still likes it :)

14. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

My bettas eat the Thera A, I would just give him a couple extra if you are going to feed the small fish formula, since they are smaller.

15. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I will say, that mine after the switch are showing some better color and are learning to eat a little different after getting flake food before. The water is about the same clarity wise, however I have noticed that I need to feed them in a couple of smaller batches with the pellets rather than the one time with the flakes. (Smaller meaning give them 2min to take a small dose and then come back and add a little more)

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

17. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Kens prices are AWESOME!! I order almost all my supplies from him. About the only thing I have seen him beat on is the tetra whisper air pumps.

18. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Well I tried feeding the food this morning....I think the pellets are so small the fish can barely see them! I had an especially hard time with the betta; the pellet would float right by his head and he wouldn't seem to notice. Even though I fed a minuscule amount at a time, a few pellets sank to the bottom of the tanks. Hopefully the pleco will eat the ones in the 55 gallon.

Ken, that website has Thera A for HALF of what it cost at the LFS! Granted I'm not sure what shipping is, but maybe I should see if the PetCo will take the food back, even though I opened it...

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

20. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Interesting! And here I was thinking "oh, I wouldn't buy that one" when looking at NLS food on Amazon, because it had an older label :) Though, I still wouldn't want expired food...

Unfortunately with shipping, the Thera A is about $17 or so, which isn't too much better than the $21 jar at my LFS. I guess I'll stick with this stuff and hope they figure it out! I'm assuming it will get a little easier as I have more fish, so that someone will notice each pellet.