40 Gallon Tank Quick Question About My Tank Stocking

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't add anymore, if I recall correctly (I very well may be mistaken) blue gourami get aggressive with their own kind in smaller tanks. Plus they get to be a decent size each. I do know the males tend to fight so if you have multiple males I'd look into rehoming some of the ones you have.

Have you considered stocking another school of fish or something instead?

~Matt~

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't add anymore, if I recall correctly (I very well may be mistaken) blue gourami get aggressive with their own kind in smaller tanks. Plus they get to be a decent size each. I do know the males tend to fight so if you have multiple males I'd look into rehoming some of the ones you have.

Have you considered stocking another school of fish or something instead?
I know they do tend to get aggressive, however, the four gourami I have get along great together and are not aggressive towards each other whatsoever, even though they are all female. I’m assuming it’s because a have a very large female, but I’m not sure. No need to rehome any of them.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey all! I currently have 4 blue gourami and 1 red tail shark in my 45 gallon aquarium. How many more gourami, if any could I add?
Hello Matt...

Good luck with the Red Tail. They're quite territorial and aggressive. They need lots and lots of room and so do any tank mates, so they can stay out of this shark's way. Not a good fish for a first timer.

Old

~Matt~

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello Matt...

Good luck with the Red Tail. They're quite territorial and aggressive. They need lots and lots of room and so do any tank mates, so they can stay out of this shark's way. Not a good fish for a first timer.

Old
Im not really a first timer. I’ve been fish keeping for about 5 years, and I have two tanks. As for the shark, it has been wonderful for the year that I’ve had it. No aggression that I’ve noticed.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im not really a first timer. I’ve been fish keeping for about 5 years, and I have two tanks. As for the shark, it has been wonderful for the year that I’ve had it. No aggression that I’ve noticed.

Hello Matt...

You're fortunate. These guys can get a little nasty as they mature. But, maybe growing up with the others will be a different story.

Keep up the good work!

Old

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom