Quick question about Filter

Mikel88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a top fin hob filter and I'm going to upgrade it to the tidal 55 hob filter. I have also been running a sponge filter inside my tank for a few weeks. Will it ruin my cycle when I change to the tidal filter or does my sponge filter have the necessary bb already?

Best Answer - View Islandvic's answer

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It will probably cause problems if you have a decent amount of fish. Just take the old media out of your top fin and leave it in with the tidal media for a week or 2 and you will be fine.

OP
M

Mikel88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MrBryan723 said:
It will probably cause problems if you have a decent amount of fish. Just take the old media out of your top fin and leave it in with the tidal media for a week or 2 and you will be fine.
It's a 37 gallon with 7 silver tip tetras and 3 otocinclus

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's probably a bit much. If you have the room to keep them both running, you could do that too for a few weeks, but just moving the media from the old to the new would be easier i think.

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Agree with the above. Either run both filters (old filter with new) or somehow cut a portion of filter media from the old filter and incorporate it with the Tidal 55. The Tidal filters have media baskets so it should be easy.

OP
M

Mikel88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do I need to add all existing media? I have 2 layers of sponge and a bio media bag. Do I also use what media comes with the tidal?

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mikel88 said:
Do I need to add all existing media? I have 2 layers of sponge and a bio media bag. Do I also use what media comes with the tidal?
You can. I like to use my own media with my filters though. I use polishing pads or PolyFil above the sponges.

The media that comes with the Tidals is pretty good from what I hear.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tidal has a foam pad and a bag of Matrix. It's a good filter. I have 2 Tidal 75's my friend gave me.

You should be able to add whatever is in your Top Fin filter into the media basket of the Tidal.

From experience, Tidal filters have built in by-pass around and through the media basket. Stuffing too much media into the basket, or packing it too tightly will cause even more water to by-pass.

I wouldn't get to crazy stuffing to many layers of media in the Tidal, but if you put it in loosely, it should handle the media from the Top Fin.

Also, may I suggest you consider upgrading to the Tidal 75 instead of the 55 model.

It will have a larger media basket and the extra flow will be useful.

The rating of tank size is an arbitrary number assigned by the marketing dept of the filter company. There is no standard way to assign tank sizes to filters. If you notice, most brands will say the filter is good for "up to xx gallon tank". The "up to" part is where it becomes a grey area. Filter brands never say how this size of tank is allegedly stocked.

Or consider buying an Aquaclear 70. I own 2, along with the AC110 and used to run 2x AC30's on an old tank, so I'm familiar with them.

If you live near a PetSmart, they carry them. Have the cashier price match the Chewy website, which has it in sale for $40.

Before going to the store though, download the PetSmart app and play their in-app game to earn a 25% off coupon.

Stack the coupon with the price match and you can score a $50 AC70 for only $30.

While you're there, pick up a 3-pack of Aquaclear replacement foam blocks so you can add a second one to the media basket. Double stacking the foam blocks will give you a tremendous amount of both mechanical and biological filtration.

OP
M

Mikel88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Tidal has a foam pad and a bag of Matrix. It's a good filter. I have 2 Tidal 75's my friend gave me.

You should be able to add whatever is in your Top Fin filter into the media basket of the Tidal.

From experience, Tidal filters have built in by-pass around and through the media basket. Stuffing too much media into the basket, or packing it too tightly will cause even more water to by-pass.

I wouldn't get to crazy stuffing to many layers of media in the Tidal, but if you put it in loosely, it should handle the media from the Top Fin.

Also, may I suggest you consider upgrading to the Tidal 75 instead of the 55 model.

It will have a larger media basket and the extra flow will be useful.

The rating of tank size is an arbitrary number assigned by the marketing dept of the filter company. There is no standard way to assign tank sizes to filters. If you notice, most brands will say the filter is good for "up to xx gallon tank". The "up to" part is where it becomes a grey area. Filter brands never say how this size of tank is allegedly stocked.
I will definitely consider the 75. I plan on adding more fish so it will be good in the long run. I will have to modify my tank hood for sure. I'm guessing the more GPH is better.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ha, while you responded I was editing my post.
Please see what I wrote about the AC70 filter.

OP
M

Mikel88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
That would definitely be cheaper! Thank you!

Islandvic said:
Would you recommend using the carbon? I've never used it. Comparing the tidal and the ac70 which is better?

Islandvic said:
Just bought the ac70 filter. Thanks for your help!

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mikel88 said:
Just bought the ac70 filter. Thanks for your help!
Can't go wrong with AquaClear. They are my favorite HOB filter.

I usually take the carbon out (and save it in case I need to remove meds), and put polishing pads or polyfil in its place. I also like to use Pre-filters to add an additional stage in mechanical filtration, and to extend the maintenance period for the filter.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AmnScott said:

I usually take the carbon out (and save it in case I need to remove meds), and put polishing pads or polyfil in its place. I also like to use Pre-filters to add an additional stage in mechanical filtration, and to extend the maintenance period for the filter.
I'll agree with most of that, but I'm coming to really... really like my Tidal. I need to buy a new filter for my 40B, I'm debating either an Eheim canister (likeliest atm) or one of the Marineland emperors. I've always had a soft spot for the bio wheels. I just replace the wheel with an AQ 50 sponge as soon as it stops spinning.

OP
M

Mikel88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AmnScott said:

I'll get a pre-filter for it. Not switching to the new hob yet. Currently treating ick :(

AmnScott said:

What products would you recommend for the polyfil or polishing pads?

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
faydout said:
I'll agree with most of that, but I'm coming to really... really like my Tidal. I need to buy a new filter for my 40B, I'm debating either an Eheim canister (likeliest atm) or one of the Marineland emperors. I've always had a soft spot for the bio wheels. I just replace the wheel with an AQ 50 sponge as soon as it stops spinning.
I have heard good things about the Tidal series and I did give a Tidal 55 a try on a 29 gal. I still prefer AquaClear over Tidal by a slight margin, but they are both great options. I plan on setting up a 40B or 55 gal in the near future and plan on running a Tidal 55 and AC70 together, to get the best of both worlds.
Mikel88 said:
What products would you recommend for the polyfil or polishing pads?
I use either Imagitarium filter pads, which can be found at Petco ( ) or the "Filter First aquarium Pad", found on Amazon ( ). Both are great options and essentially do the same thing. I prefer filter pads over PolyFil because you can cut the pads to fit perfectly in the AquaClear media basket. PolyFil is a little harder to work with.

The filter pads are good at polishing the water and filtering out smaller debris/particles. As long as you are using a sponge pre-filter or as long as you have a course sponge underneath it, you are good to go.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
faydout , if your interested in the Marineland bio-wheel HOB's, checkout their new Penguin 375 Pro and Emperor 450 Pro models.

There are a lot of YouTube reviews on them.

The new Pro versions have adjustable flow, and from what I recall, the ability to add a foam block insert to act as a sort of pre-filter of I'm not mistaken.

Otherwise the original Penguin 350 and Emperor 400 models and usually be found on sale online for $21-$25 and $38-$41 respectively.

I'm not sure what the pricing is for the updated Pro models.

AmnScott , I agree with you on the loose-fill version of the Polyfil. It can sometimes be a PITA to work with. I've switched to the "batting" version of Polyfil and I prefer it. It can easily be layered with other media or just placed on top.

It can be cut to whatever shape/size you want and since its thin, it can be easily layered.

The "quilt batting" version works better than the loose-fill in my opinion, since it can be cut to the shape you want.

The white roll of bulk filter pad media you linked to on Amazon is very good stuff!

I have used it in the past, and the construction is a lot better than the pink and green rolls from other brands that sell for a few $ less for same size roll.

I found it can be re-used a couple times longer than the rolls that sell for $10-$14. Paying a few $ more for bulk roll filter pads actually is a bit more economical since it can be rinsed and re-used a couple of times. It is truly a "dual density" pad like the Amazom description states. About 2/3's of the thickness is a coarse material with the remaining 1/3 is a finer material that are bonded together.

When I have used it in the past, I would sometimes cut out 2 pieces to the size I needed, and peel apart the 2 layers of one piece. that would give me a layer of coarse and fine floss pad.

Then I would stack the 2 separated layers on top and bottom of the 2nd intact piece.

This gave me essentially 2 layers of coarse then 2 layers of fine pad as the water flowed though it.

Mikel88 , to answer your question for which filter floss is recommended, I can suggest the Polyfil "quilt batting" version found either online, or in stores such as Michael's, Jo-Ann's, Hobby Lobby, WalMart or any craft store.

Screenshot_20200624-104943_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200624-104931_Gallery.jpg

I can also recomend the "dual density" bulk roll filter pad by Aquatic Experts from Amazon that AmnScott referenced .

Both are very effective in my experience and serve their purpose well.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Islandvic The 375 is the one I've been looking at. I'm about 95% sure I'm going with the Eheim 2215 this time, but I'm a bit of a HOB junkie. I'm already running a combo of Tidals, Penguins, and Aquaclears. I'll probably end up replacing my biowheel 200 with a 375 down the road.

Another neat one I'm looking at, started as trying to figure out if there was a way to add a spray bar ot a HOB for my corner tank. I may end up grabbing either an Oase 60 or Finnex PX 360, just to see how a hang on the back canister works. Although, for the amount of filtration they can do... buying 2 of them would cost as much as a full sized canister, and even then wouldn't be able to handle even half of my needs. I may just pick up another Eheim and mount the spray bar across the back, so the single stream of water is pushing right at the middle front of the bowed front.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom