Quick Question About Cycle

jamesw6810

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Using TSS you may not see a nitrite spike, TSS contains a healthy amount (if viable) of nitrobacter, Nitrite eating bacteria.

Quite often these produce high levels of nitrate and nitrite are never seen

Don’t worry, just adjust your testing to Ammonia reduction and Nitrate production. I’d suggest Ammonia every 24 hours and Nitrate only when you see a reduction of 0.5ppm over dosage. Once ammonia reduces to 0/0.2 then have a check of Nitrites..

If nitrates increase then by default, nitrites will be being consumed, often at a quicker rate with TSS. Reducing nitrate only happens through water changes or a decent amount of planting

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok I'll watch for spikes In nitrites and then I'll start prime keeping combined at 1ppm. And hopefully on the homestretch
That sounds fine. I don't think anyone has mentioned this but it's known on fishlore--the thing about TSS is you may never see nitrites in a tank it's used in. Although the manufacturer won't disclose the species of nitrifying bacteria used in TSS (nitrosomonas oxidizes ammonia and nitrobacter oxidizes nitrites), the absence of a nitrite spike when using TSS suggests that there probably is some nitrobacter in TSS. It's in this way that TSS can significantly shorten the time it takes to cycle a tank.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only problem(s) I see with that statement is that it completely contradicts the statements by Seachem about their product. So, who do you believe? It also isn't listed on the Tetra SS product use guidelines provided on the product NOT to use the ingredients that are in Prime along with TSS in a tank.
If indeed Tetra does put ammonia in their product, why isn't it listed in the MSD for their product?
TSS also says this: "SafeStart Plus will finish the cycle within a few days, depending on where you are with it, how many fish you have and how much you are feeding" and we all know that's not true. I have yet to see any tank "finish the cycle within a few days" after using TSS. They also state "If fish are added at a proper rate, along with the SafeStart Plus, they won't experience any spikes in ammonia or nitrite." That too we know isn't true. Based on every single person I've advised and seen other people advise on this site, I've seen 0 (zero) people who have not had an ammonia spike after adding TSS regardless of when they've used it during their cycle.
So, I guess the decision to use a product comes down to this: do you base using a product purely on what a manufacture who sells it and claims the product does? Or do you use a product based on what your own investigation, experience, common sense and science, prove that it does?
I don't know how much time and money SeaChem puts into making sure their product doesn't cause SafeStart to fail. But I do believe that Tetra did spend the time and money to find that any water conditioner that removes chloramines (not just Prime) will cause their product to fail. I mean Tetra (sorta) crated the product and one would think that they would know more about TSS then SeaChem does. But like I said, it's not just Prime that will cause the TSS to fail, it's any water conditioner that removes chloramines, and as far as I know all water conditioners remove chloramines. But I suppose if you were sure you didn't have chloramines in your water and could find a water conditioner that does not remove chloramines, you could use that and not have to wait the 24 hours before adding TSS

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea I wait 24 to 48 hrs after using water conditioner

Update looks like .25 ammonis and maybe .25 nitrate.

Bettas 5g is a little further from what I can tell. So far so good haha.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom