Quick question about 2nd hand Aquarium

Jbrand3

Hey guys I have a quick question about an aquarium I just bought. I bought it used and the person was using it up until I bought it. I filled it with water just to make sure it doesnt leak but when I got up for work this morning I saw that the water level was way lower and there was sweat all over the glass and the cement around the aquarium was wet. Is this due to it being hot and humid outside? The first couple hours after I filled it up I didnt see any leak and I still cant see any noticeable one right now. Would appreciate your alls help, I need to this tank to transfer my fish and turtle from my old one that does have a confirmed leak. Thanks.

Tristen

Jbrand3 said:
Hey guys I have a quick question about an aquarium I just bought. I bought it used and the person was using it up until I bought it. I filled it with water just to make sure it doesnt leak but when I got up for work this morning I saw that the water level was way lower and there was sweat all over the glass and the cement around the aquarium was wet. Is this due to it being hot and humid outside? The first couple hours after I filled it up I didnt see any leak and I still cant see any noticeable one right now. Would appreciate your alls help, I need to this tank to transfer my fish and turtle from my old one that does have a confirmed leak. Thanks.
There is no way to be sure other than moving the tank somewhere cool and letting it sit for a while.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Well 'sweat' wouldn't explain the level being way lower. How big is this aquarium. If it were 200 gallon and it went from full to 1/2 full then you should have 100 gallon of water on your floor. It wouldn't just be condensation on the glass. Not enough details and vague description. Be precise.

OP
J

Jbrand3

jake37 said:
Well 'sweat' wouldn't explain the level being way lower. How big is this aquarium. If it were 200 gallon and it went from full to 1/2 full then you should have 100 gallon of water on your floor. It wouldn't just be condensation on the glass. Not enough details and vague description. Be precise.
It is a 36 gallon tank and the water level dropped like 6 inches. My fiancee put tape at the water line at 1am and when i left for work at 5am the level was the same. So sometime between 9pm and 1 am it dropped like 6 inches and then stopped. Its quite baffling

Attachments

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I'd refill it - could be a leak in the upper region - you lost at least 5 gallons if it had been filled to the top. Maybe a pet was very very very thirsty ?

OP
J

Jbrand3

Im going to move it to my basement and refill it when i get home. The only thing that bugs me is that i checked on the tank multiple times up until i went to bed and it was fine. All this seems to have happened from like 10pm to 1am and yes it was filled up to the top.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
if you left that hosepipe in and disconnected it from its source then it may very well of siphoned out, looking at where the head of the hose is

OP
J

Jbrand3

richiep said:
if you left that hosepipe in and disconnected it from its source then it may very well of siphoned out, looking at where the head of the hose is
The hose was still hooked up so unfortunately I dont think that happened, sure hope its something easily fixable like that.

BobbyGregg

im thinking condensation filling the tank with cold water cooler than what the outside air the tank will get water on outside, it has been weird temps for everyone lately and humidity does not help, I have 3 open top tanks and loose a gallon every few days but not alot inn a short period of time. It looks like you have it in the basement in the pic, basement can be bad spots for tanks as there is less air flow as to upstairs with all the windows, youd see condensation on a tank in the basement if the water wasnt to room temp or higher. but to loose a few gallons in a few hrs is not right.

Condensation on tank for sure for sure. try and set up with room temp water and put a heater in to maintain room temp give another 24 there should be no problems if still water then might be possible leak.....

Just thought of something, is there a dehumidifier in the area?

OP
J

Jbrand3

BobbyGregg said:
im thinking condensation filling the tank with cold water cooler than what the outside air the tank will get water on outside, it has been weird temps for everyone lately and humidity does not help, I have 3 open top tanks and loose a gallon every few days but not alot inn a short period of time. It looks like you have it in the basement in the pic, basement can be bad spots for tanks as there is less air flow as to upstairs with all the windows, youd see condensation on a tank in the basement if the water wasnt to room temp or higher. but to loose a few gallons in a few hrs is not right.

Condensation on tank for sure for sure. try and set up with room temp water and put a heater in to maintain room temp give another 24 there should be no problems if still water then might be possible leak.....

Just thought of something, is there a dehumidifier in the area?
Its on my front porch in the picture. Im gonna try moving it to my basement tonight and refill it to check for leaks in a controlled temp. At this point the only thing i can figure is maybe there is a leak in the middle of the tank which is why it stopped leaking at a certain point.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
A 6" drop is definitely a leak and not from evaporation.

I suggest to get a pair of 2x4 boards and place the tank on them, so the left and right sides of the bottom tank frame rests on them.

Then refill the tank and let it sit.

By elevating the tank off the ground and exposing the middle, you will now be able to see under the tank as well.

The leak could be coming from anywhere l.

Check all the side and bottom seams, look for any gouges/nicks/tears in the silicone.

Something may have happened in transit back to your house after picking it up from the seller. I hope the person you bought it from didn't sell it to you knowing it had a leak.

Once you locate the leak, I'm sure it can be repaired. There are tons of YouTube content regarding the resealing of tanks. Joey from the King of DIY channel, has a lot of videos about it.

Good luck !

New Threads