Quick Plant Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Odin, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Odin

Odin Valued Member Member

Hi just a quick question I was thinking about getting some duckweed for my 30 gallon but I was just woundering if they would be okay with the strong current as I have from my fluval u3 and as U have hillstream loaches and I do not want to change the current . Thx :)

2. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

The only drawback is the outflow from your filter will keep pushing the duckweed underwater & it will get caught up in any decor or other plants you have that's what I found when I put a similar floating plant in my tank, I eventually swapped it for some Salvinia Natans (water butterfly wings) they're bigger & chunkier & don't get pushed under.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Frogbit, and waterlettuce are other choices too :)

4. OP
    OP
    Odin

Odin Valued Member Member

Ok that's really useful I will have a look at the other plants you mentioned. Thx :)

5. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

I second the frogbit, much easier to remove too if you decide you don't like it anymore. I know lot's of people regretting introducing duckweed because it can get out of control and hard to remove to your system afterwards

6. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

None of the above would do well with that much current. Not only will they be blown around, they will die off.
    Option a- make a “corral” that will keep them in one spot, depending on how much bumping goes on it there will be key.
    Option b- go for larger ‘stem floaters’ that can handle current... water Sprite, Indian water fern (different form of water Sprite), hornwort, guppy Grass, water wisteria, etc. while these will also get blown around, they won’t mind the current

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice