Quick help!? Maracyn 2 and methylene blue??

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about using methylene blue and maracyn 2 together? I already have a hospital tank with methylene blue, know on of my guppies is showing fin+tail rot (red on bottom of fin) also body color looks wrong, cloudy or something.
ANYWAY, i have maracyn 2 still, I've read it helps with some problems im having including this but i can't find information on whether these are ok together... Any One Know!?

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SallyB33 said:
one of my guppies is showing fin+tail rot (red on bottom of fin) also body color looks wrong, cloudy or something.
Doesn't sound like fin rot to me. What are the water parameters of the tank?

deon junior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
definately doesnt sound like fin rot

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds more like it is changing color or possibly an ammonia burn. Please post a pic?

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ill send a pic
... i did just put new plants in but i have a 55 gallon with 8 adult guppies and 8 fry i will do an ammonia check right now.. not sure if this started before or after plants..
AND i need to fix my statement i guess i have maracyn 1 not 2

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ammonia looks like 0 but is .25 to .5 max

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I should mention I've been having problems and recently moved 4 fry with tails eaten away

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see any red, but those pics and video do look like fin rot. Hopefully someone will tell you it is okay to use both.

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your right i didn't get a good shot of the red it is on the very bottom of his fin and its kind of folded but i promise you there is red, i am just now noticing issues with a LOT of my other guppies now, half the fish that were fine yesterday look sick now, idk to do anymore, clamped fins, tail rot, one has spots
I am about to transfer them ALL to a hospital tank... I had guppies 7 years ago and it was never like this. Now its just one disease after another i am about to just trash this whole thing

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please don't! Describe all the problems please, we'll work from there. It seems most of the active forum members seem to live in America, and it is not really "our awake time" right now. Please wait until around eight for more responses, I promise someone else will help.

It seems you may have fin rot AND ammonia burns. What is your water change schedule?

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't actually kill these fish (unless they were suffering)
'
I found 2 adult and 3 dead fry when i cleaned my tank 5 days ago and ive had problems for a while so i did a 60% water change added salt and chlorine stuff and last night i put in some plants and a few rocks (from my turtle tank! i didn't think that through, i know) but there are fish in my turtle tank and they are fine.

My problems are not new though, the fin and tail rot is very new, the rest come and go

i have 70 fry in a tank that are doing fine (except for occasional genetics issues, premies and bent spine)

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i also just changed the filters, but fin rot was showing on 3 medium fry before i made any changes, thats why i started the hospital tank

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why did you change the filters? You may have caused your tank to recycle! And salt has questionable affects on freshwater fish... so the combination of these two factors may be causing extreme stress, which in turn would explain most of the discoloration and clamped fins.

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have had salt in the water for a while i can start taking it out but i was told a long time ago to use salt with guppies so i always have, i changed the filter cartridge because the one in there was filthy. Why would my tank recycle, aren't you supposed to change filter inserts? I have to go to bed i will read and respond tmrw asap, thanks for your help

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
only because it seems like ive had problems from day one with this tank, i will mention that i used a tank that was a salt water and had been sitting for 10 years, i used some of the ornaments as well (it was my uncle's who passed) idk if i got some crazy bacteria from his stuff but i would think 10 years dry would kill anything. maybe chemicals? my boyfriend used bug spray in the house the other day? ... a million things could affect this tank but like i said, problems from day one so who knows.

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You rinse the filter inserts out in tank water, but if they are just falling apart you can stick a new one in front of or behind the current one, then you can toss the old one after 2 weeks. Most of your BB lives in the filter media, that is why it is CRUCIAL to not just toss the media out

SallyB33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that makes sense... so no other responses from people lol, the fish i took a video of died,

what do i do if one of the sick fish in the hospital tank died and got eaten. it is a lot of work to clean the whole tank out but besides that it already has the medicine in it, i did put maracyn and methylene blue so hopefully thats ok.

most fish in main tank seem to be ok, one adult with clamped fin, medium fry (4 months) whose tails were going probably died and got eaten by snails bc i can't find them now

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are all of your water parameters besides ammonia? Are you using a liquid test kit? The strips are VERY inaccurate so you know .

And I'm sorry you keep losing more fish :console:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom