Quick feeding question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Disc10, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Disc10

Disc10New MemberMember

I was just wondering if sticking to flakes alone was okay or if I should be varying my fish diet more? I've hear that leaving a piece of vegetable for a couple of days for them to nibble on between feeding is a good idea too, I just wanted to confirm. If I should be giving them more than just flakes then what should include in their diet? And if leaving vegetable in the tank is a good idea are there any particular vegetables that would be more beneficial or harmful to them?

Thank you for your time. ;D

EDIT: Oh yea, might be helpful if I mention that I feed them Aquarian Advanced Nutrition Tropical Flake Food. Little bit pricey but it's good stuff.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

It's a good idea to vary thier diet a little. Use the flakes as the main part of thier diet but once or twice a week give them a treat like frozen daphnia or freeze dried bloodworms. Soak the bloodworms for a few minutes before giving them to the fish so that they soften & swell up to thier full size. If you want to feed fresh veggies that's fine but only leave them in the tank for 12hours max. Leave them in there for any longer & they will start to rot & mess with the water chemistry.

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Agree with Nutter.

4. bubblynutter

bubblynutterWell Known MemberMember

On a side note - is your aquarium info up to date? It shows you still have high nitrite readings...

+2 with Nutter on the feeding schedule. Although I feed my tanks with fresh veggies twice a week, but I have clown loaches and plecos, who need veggies in their diet. Frozen bloodworms always go down a treat, I have all 17 fish (excluding plecos) eat bloodworms straight from my fingers in a feeding frenzy whenever I put them in the tank...

5. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I feed my tropical fish:

1. a mixture of about 5 different flake foods
    2. freeze dried brine shrimp
    3. live grindal worms
    4. diced spinach

Everyone's favorite is definately the live grindal worms ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Disc10

Disc10New MemberMember

Thank you all for the advice ;D

I've decided to use frozen bloodworms as well flakes in their diet a couple of times a week, and leaving a fresh vegetable everyday, changing it when needed obviously.

7. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Mine get flakes, brine shrimp, frozen tubifles worms and freeze dried blood worms. Oh, and an alge wafer now and then for the little pleco.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice