Quick cichlid question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Mer-max, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

If johanni females are solids yellow - what names would I find them under at the pet store?

2. beginnerValued MemberMember

that's a good question. I thought they were blue with white just like the males. just googled it and they're defineintly yellow. maybe they're sold as j yellow johnni's. gives me a good reason to go look at fish tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. klogue2Valued MemberMember

It's possible some would mistake them for yellow labs, they look almost identical without the black striping on the fins. If the store knows what they're talking about, they should be listed as electric blue johanni, or just johanni cichlid, there might be another name for them but I don't know it.

4. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

I have a feeling they are going to be under " assorted cichlids ". And ima have to do my homework and sit there and study for that elongated body shape if they are old enough and just compare resources .

I wish the stores were as organized as I want my tank to be!

5. beginnerValued MemberMember

around here assorted Africans means zebras labs and Kenyi's. how much do they sell for in texas. i'd say they're 6 bucks here

6. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

I got my Kenyis for $2.50

7. beginnerValued MemberMember

that's a good price. guess I've seen them on sale for about that much already. how much would a 2.5inch fish be. I paid 20 for my cobalt and he is a beautiful breeding machine

8. IlyasValued MemberMember

Mine always came with the name Electric Blue Johanni, male and females in same tank. Often they are too young to identify gender in the store.

9. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

The females are solid yellow, while the males are the pretty blues. I would post a pic of the chart I'm referring to but I don't own the rights to the photo and I just took a screen shot of it.

10. Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Honestly I don't know. My johanni was listed as "cichlid" is around 3" and I believe he was $15. Crazy guy bailed outta the top shelf tank onto the floor during purchase - it was crazy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice