Quick Bamboo Shrimp Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just wanted to share a couple of quick Bamboo Shrimp snapshots I took today when they finally figured out the best spots for the filter's current since I rearranged their tank a couple days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome shots Zeez.

Were these taken on your phone?

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep!

I think if it had been a DSLR, then the body in the second photo would have been more clear. A DSLR can catch better movement than a phone camera can. Both of these shrimp, especially the second one, were bouncing up and down in the filter's current.

Good lighting helps a TON. This tank's light used to be my 40 Gallon's light that hung from the ceiling.

Reptiguy97

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow I love those pictures. I always wanted to get shrimp but I just do not have any tanks that would support them. But yours look Really good though.

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice! I was considering them a few years back, but the "high water flow needed" warning kinda scared me away. bet they're happy!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you feed yours at all? I had a pair, but even being spot-fed Hikari First Bites daily (often multiple times daily) they both died

Bumblebat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I badly want bamboo shrimp but I'm worried that they'll starve. I'm thinking about getting a couple when I do my hillstream tank, but I'm not sure if they can handle lower temperatures.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow I love those pictures. I always wanted to get shrimp but I just do not have any tanks that would support them. But yours look Really good though.
Why not?

These are such cool looking shrimp! Awesome pics Zeez!
Thank you!

Nice! I was considering them a few years back, but the "high water flow needed" warning kinda scared me away. bet they're happy!
I like to overfilter my tanks. Though I'm not crazy about the Tetra "Advanced" 30-60 Gallon filter on this tank, I do like that it has two outflows. It gives my three Bamboo Shrimps more places to find and sit and do their filtering thing. You also need to make sure that they have good spots to sit in the flow. Such as tall plants or branches of driftwood set in the flow or rocks, etc.

Do you feed yours at all? I had a pair, but even being spot-fed Hikari First Bites daily (often multiple times daily) they both died
Not often. Just when I see them picking. That's when I wait until they're filtering and toss in crushed flakes or a crushed algae wafer. They will eat food that happen to drift into their fans. I also know when they do that, it's time to change the water to bring in fresh microorganisms. Some people use a baster to directly put powdered foods into their direction. I don't because 1) I'm lazy and 2) Crushed algae especially drives my Kuhli Loaches wild and they go ballistic trying to get it all.

I badly want bamboo shrimp but I'm worried that they'll starve. I'm thinking about getting a couple when I do my hillstream tank, but I'm not sure if they can handle lower temperatures.
I'm no expert on them but TheShrimpFarm says they can be in 70 to 78 degrees. Other sites say 75 and above. Hopefully others will be able to chime in with more information. I've kept mine for over a year and the temperature I keep them in is 79 F.

That is one cool critter! Good captures (photos)
Thank you, sir!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You have kuhli loaches?? You should put up pictures I've always wanted some pangio kuhlis.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's a photo I snapped last night at feeding time to show that Bamboo Shrimp DO eat flakes that drift into their fans. Definitely not the greatest photo but you get the idea.

I do, yeah, but they stay hidden most of the time except at feeding time. If I tried to snap pics of them at feeding time, they'd just come out blurry because these guys MOVE. Seriously. I have about 6-8. I can never keep count of them. I think I have some old pics...

From waaaay back when I had my old 40 Gallon Breeder set up -

I'll put in an algae wafer tonight and see if I can't get them to come out for you and get new pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a scare today. As I was coming upstairs, I saw something laying on the landing and it was a Bamboo Shrimp, still alive. I picked him up and put him back in.

Wonder why he did that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom