Quick Answer Please - Mold On Decor?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by brook.lyn, Jul 18, 2017.

  1. brook.lyn

    brook.lynValued MemberMember

    I've seen this before but I just ignored it, it has a strong smell kinda like mold and it's black/grey. It's flat, not fluffy or anything. Is it mold? Algae? I just fixed problems with my cycle having a strangely high bio load.. could this have been the problem? Do I have to throw the decor out?

    5d3d117f1a2ff8c3ca21a7e550024afa.jpg

    It's a mushroom decor, so the part that has black stuff on it is always pointed down towards the sand and I have no light in my tank since I have an axolotl and they hate light
     
  2. DHIWZ

    DHIWZValued MemberMember

    If it smells like mold, it's mold. Who knows how it got there, maybe you introduced it accidentally while cleaning or feeding your pet. Either way I'd give it a good cleaning (preferably with bleach) before reintroducing it back. Wouldn't want it spreading to anything else.
     
  3. JesseMoreira06

    JesseMoreira06Well Known MemberMember

    to me it kinda appears to be diatoms.
     
  4. OP
    OP
    brook.lyn

    brook.lynValued MemberMember

    I do have a bad nitrate problem,.. though it's not spreading?

    I tried to scrub it off in some old tank water, didn't move. I'll try to see if I have anything
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
  5. DHIWZ

    DHIWZValued MemberMember

    If you can't scrub it off it's 100% not diatoms. Those should come off relatively easily.
     
  6. iamclaire

    iamclaireValued MemberMember

    Its algea. Happens on everything eventually. No really easy way to get rid of it.
     




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice