Quick Answer Please - Mold On Decor?

1. brook.lyn Member Member

I've seen this before but I just ignored it, it has a strong smell kinda like mold and it's black/grey. It's flat, not fluffy or anything. Is it mold? Algae? I just fixed problems with my cycle having a strangely high bio load.. could this have been the problem? Do I have to throw the decor out?

It's a mushroom decor, so the part that has black stuff on it is always pointed down towards the sand and I have no light in my tank since I have an axolotl and they hate light
  2. DHIWZ Member Member

If it smells like mold, it's mold. Who knows how it got there, maybe you introduced it accidentally while cleaning or feeding your pet. Either way I'd give it a good cleaning (preferably with bleach) before reintroducing it back. Wouldn't want it spreading to anything else.

3. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

to me it kinda appears to be diatoms.
  4. brook.lyn Member Member

I do have a bad nitrate problem,.. though it's not spreading?

I tried to scrub it off in some old tank water, didn't move. I'll try to see if I have anything

5. DHIWZ Member Member

If you can't scrub it off it's 100% not diatoms. Those should come off relatively easily.
  6. iamclaire Member Member

Its algea. Happens on everything eventually. No really easy way to get rid of it.