Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Discussion in 'Otocinclus' started by dancerhas, Dec 14, 2008.

1. dancerhas

dancerhasWell Known MemberMember

Here's some pics of our quick and dirty quarantine tank. We're currently quarantining 2 Otto's (hence the cucumber) and 2 platy's. Our Otto's have lived through the night and seem to be doing well. I'm excited to get them in their new home soon. :) Hopefully Stewie will like them. (and not in a culinary way:p)

Ingredients:

3-Gallon Sterilite container from Dollar General - $5

Top Fin Power Filter 10 (any small filter will do) - $10-$20

Tetra Whisper Internal Filter 3i - This one needs a more powerful Air Pump but it works good

- Can be had for about $11 at Wal-Mart

Top Fin Power Filter Series - 10 gallon model can be purchased for $14

25-50 Watt Submersible Heater - $14-$20

Small Air Pump (from the Tetra Whisper 3i) - $5-$10

- Use this baby to power the Tetra 3i and then you'll have an extra

Overturned Daisy Cup weighted with a rock (for shelter) - Free

Approximate Total Cost: $35 (depends on what you use)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. soldieroffortune1974

soldieroffortune1974Well Known MemberMember

That's the perfect quarantine. I am always trying to encourage people to get that type of container for a qt,they're inexpensive and easy to work with.Thanks for the pic. Proof there's no excuse NOT to have a qt,definitely saves a lot of trouble in the future.NICE (doesn't look dirty at all)

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) Nice job on the makeshift Q tank. Good luck with your new fish.

4. OP
    OP
    dancerhas

No excuse indeed. I wish I had done it the last time we got fish.

5. eaglescout316

eaglescout316Valued MemberMember

Forgive me for being the naive one, but do you just have that running all that time in a closet/garage? Otherwise you'd lose your cycle, right?

6. OP
    OP
    dancerhas

You're right, if we just turned it off the cycle would die. But there are ways around that...:)

We used filter media out of one of our established tanks, just pulled it out, popped it in the new filter and we were good to go. (I read that this is pretty much instant-cycle correct me if I'm wrong) When we're done quarantining we're planning on just putting the whole filter on our 29 gallon for extra filtration and to keep the media cycled.

We've also taken to keeping some extra pieces of filter floss in our large filter so we can just pull one out if we need to cycle a tank quickly.

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

8. OP
    OP
    dancerhas

^^Yes, forgot to mention that. Thanks Lucy. :)

9. missi

missiValued MemberMember

I have a Biowheel tank made by marineland

How can I use this idea, but not need to have it set up all the time? Is this possible?

Thanks!

10. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Just keep the filter running on another tank as an extra filter, then when you need it remove the whole filter and put it on the quarantine tank. Instant qt tank.
    Carol

11. MeGustaUnaPez926

MeGustaUnaPez926Well Known MemberMember

EEE!! I'm so going to set one of these up and then get my mom to let me use my current QT tank (5 gallon hex) as a dwarf puffer tank!!

12. missi

missiValued MemberMember

I cant hang anything off my tank. It is up against a wall, and if I pull it out to put a filter on, it will fall off the counter it is on... :( I also dont think the hood will allow for one anywhere. are there any underwater filters that arent the ones that go under the gravel and stuff?

13. bettafish2816

bettafish2816Fishlore VIPMember

look at the whispers, they aren't excellent quality, but they sit almost entirely in the tank, attached by suction cups and a hook to the tank

here's a pic

14. MeGustaUnaPez926

MeGustaUnaPez926Well Known MemberMember

Undergravel filters are pretty much worthless. Maintenance is very difficult with them. I would recommend trying to find something like Alex suggested.

15. Fishies-for-me

Fishies-for-meWell Known MemberMember

You can also use a sponge filter ....you can hide it behind decor in the tank and just have the bubbles going up...move over to the QT and voila!!

16. mr. Clown Loach

mr. Clown LoachValued MemberMember

lol sponge filters are awesome i might get me one soon just for my main tank.

17. prairielilly

prairielillyWell Known MemberMember

You can also use a box filter, since you'd be using an airstone anyway - just stuff it full of seeded media from another tank, set it up and plug it in. You could always keep some extra media in a mesh bag in the corner of the tank if there's no room for another filter, then it will be ready to go when needed.