Quick And Dirty Photo Resize

Discussion in 'Photos' started by TheeLadyG, May 24, 2018.

1. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyGValued MemberMember

I posted this in the "Resize your Photos Online" thread but I thought it might get seen better here. If the double-post is not OK, just let me know, I'm very new here!

I have to share a lot of pics. I'm a busy G and can't be bothered with lengthy processes so, my secret is:

TAKE A SCREENSHOT!

Want a quick and dirty way to resize images? I do graphic design and I resize lots of things for quick sharing on social media, clients or whatever and I don't always feel like going through all the hullabaloo of adjusting the size parameters and then saving it and blah blah blah... so I just open the image on my computer (any program that reads images will do, even your web browser!), zoom in or out visually on the image to make it a nice size on my screen, and take a screen shot!

To take a screen shot on MacOS it's Shift+Cmd+3 to copy the entire screen OR, more usefully, Shift+Cmd+4 to take a shot of a portion of the screen that you choose. The screen shot is then saved as a PNG file (usually on the desktop)

On Windows there is a program that comes with Windows called Snipping Tool. that lets you do the same thing. The screen shot is saved as a JPG file. I think the default file path is your "Pictures" folder, but I have mine set to save to the Desktop. On my Windows 10 device I can hit Shift+Win+4 to bring up the program fast. I'm not sure about other Windows versions.

Screenshots also work on smartphones, different brands of phones use different key combinations for taking a screen shot (you'll have to look up your own phone) but for my Samsung Note Android phone it's Home+Power. This is helpful because I have my camera set to full HD, and my image files are much to large for sharing in text messages, etc... so I take a screenshot of the photo. It goes into a folder in my phone's Gallery handily named "Screenshots."

Instagram and social media programs are another way to automatically resize images, especially if you have adjusted your Instagram settings to save a copy of what you upload.

Cheers!
    ~G

2. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

I removed the original post in the other thread and inserted a link to this thread.

Thanks,
    Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice