Quick Advice

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Manuel1223, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Manuel1223

Manuel1223 Valued Member Member

Hey guys. I set up a new tank on 7/21. I have a few red eye tetras and 4 black mollys. My tank isnt done cycling and ill post my readings from 8/1 below. Ive noticed my water getting clouder today. My light was left on for about 9 hrs yesterday.
    Ive used api quick start and ultimate water conditioner to get everything going. I purchased prime today and plan to use that instead. I did a water change also on 7/29 of 35%
    20170801_082606.jpg

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I've never had a good experience with API Quickstart, I would replace it either with Tetra Safe Start or Fritz Turbo Start.

Since you don't have any Nitrites yet, it definitely didn't work for you.
    The cloudiness is normal during a tank's cycling. It's just a bacterial bloom that will die out with time. It can also be caused by overfeeding, but if you keep that in check, that won't be the problem.

3. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

I was feeding them twice a day and noticed that the mollys sit at the bottom sometimes and the flakes go everywhere. So im dropping to once a day.
    But quick start doesnt need to be applied still? Just prime right?

4. LiterallyHydro

Fish in the wild don't come across food every day, if there is a major issue cycling the tank, I would even cut the feeding back to once every other day to minimize waste going into the tank.

I would discontinue use of quick start. Prime can help to detox ammonia and nitrite for up to a day after usage, so you could do water changes while dosing prime to keep the parameters in check. Or you could do a large water change, and add one of the Live Bacteria products I mentioned earlier to speed along the process while minimizing your need to interfere with the cycle.

5. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

So if i water change then dose with tetra start AND prime i should be good? While cutting feeding to every other day or once a day? 50% water change? Or will that big of change mess up my bacteria growth? Can i throw a moss plant? Or tetra like you recommended should be okay?

6. LiterallyHydro

I would do the water change with prime, wait 24 hours, then use Tetra Safe Start. I'd be worried about Prime detoxifying the ammonia into a form the bacteria from Tetra Safe Start can't consume, and would starve off.

A 50% water change shouldn't have a very large impact on your beneficial bacteria if you don't overdo the cleaning. I wouldn't vacuum the gravel while also changing out filter cartridges and taking out half the water, that would certainly put your system into shock. But if you changed out straight water, not doing any of those other things, you'll be fine.

If I have to do water changes during a cycle, it's nearly always 50%, but my usual recommendation is 25% every 1-4 weeks (More frequent depending on bio-load.)

7. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Okay i have yet to replace the filter cartridge and clean the gravel. Im going to post my water test results in a while do you mind looking at them? Not sure if you would recommend anything different based off of the results

8. LiterallyHydro

The reason for not testing the water any sooner than a day after the water change is the Prime could have a false positive effect. It breaks Chloramines down into Ammonia and Chlorine? Which will show up on the test, the ammonia in the water is no longer toxic however.

I will certainly take a look at your test results if you post them, however.

9. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Okay so i put prime in now. Tomorrow evening ill test and then do a water change based off of the results. Thank you for your help

10. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Okay my ammonia went up from .25. Im going to do a 85% water change and dose with prime and tetra start

11. Daryl

Daryl Valued Member Member

Do your self a favor. Buy some Fluval Cycle or Seachem Stability. I've used all three( including the Tetra product) IMO the Fluval and Seachem work better. I had two different aquariums that I used the Tetra on (because they came in a kit) that wouldn't cycle until I began using the Fluval. 2wks latter they were cycled. Just my opinion.

12. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

I'm cycled brotha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice