questions!!

Tazmiche
Ok Flames ( male) tank is now next to Honeys (female) tank and I have set them up so the don't see each other . However 2 days ago whilst tank cleaning they saw each other. Honey said hI then off BUT Flame is swimming back and forth like he is going mad! Just to make sure it was for her I moved the partion and looked longingly into her tank! So sad!!

1/ what can I do to calm him down? I can move her tank no prob to my bedroom but decorating it at the mo
2/what do I do if moving her doesn't help? do I need to let him breed?

oh I feel so bad....he looks nuts, back and forth like a caged beast! which of course he is!! would he be calmer if they saw each other more?

AAAGGHHHH who knew fish were so complex?? I LOVE it really x

Barbrella
He may calm down if he sees her all the time and the novelty wears off, as it does for male bettas housed next to each other at petstores.

Unless you've done tons of reseach and have a great deal of time, knowledge and equipment - many tanks and jars - breeding bettas is likely to end in disaster.

Yes, bettas certainly are different, aren't they? I guess that's why we love them.

Tazmiche
He may calm down if he sees her all the time and the novelty wears off, as it does for male bettas housed next to each other at petstores.

Unless you've done tons of reseach and have a great deal of time, knowledge and equipment - many tanks and jars - breeding bettas is likely to end in disaster.

Yes, bettas certainly are different, aren't they? I guess that's why we love them.

Cheers, I just worry as you will soon learn!! She dosen't care!! You just want them to be happy!! Oh well he's had a good feed tonight and with all his pacing LOTS of exercise so should get a god nights sleep when I put comp and lights out. I just totally adore Bettas!!

COBettaCouple
give him other things to think about and as long as he doesn't see her again, he should give up on it eventually. you don't have to worry about him getting eggbound so maybe just some extra time talking to him and letting him burn off that energy will take care of it.

Tazmiche
Cheers guys!

chickadee
He needs to have the amount of protein in his diet lessened for a few days in case he is conditioning himself to breed. Try to give only one meal a day for the next week or so and give pea treats for the other meal so he won't be hungry but the protein buzz won't keep him wired. Then try to keep his temperature at 80 degrees at least. Cooler temperatures tend to help condition the males too. Don't shoot the temperature up but keep him from being cool. A large cardboard or something that totally cuts off his sight of her will help too. But I really think unless he begins to build bubblenests, you do not have a lot to worry about. Just be sure to keep your tank covered so he does not jump in his agitation.

They are so naughty. I do agree with Dave about the added attention. There is nothing that calms them down so much as having quality time with mommy.

(When Marty and Noel were side by side and Marty was constantly pacing in the tank, I taped a piece of typing paper up on the outside wall of the tank for a couple of weeks until he settled down - by the time it went down he had forgotten about Noel being there but they were both males so I am not sure this is going to work)

Rose

Tazmiche
thanks Rose, I have paper between tanks and it got wet during a water change which is how he spotted her!!

They all have temps of 84. Good advice re the protein, I will definitely take that on board.

Flame aka Flambo is a buggeroo! So bloshy, he flared at me this morning whilst I was typing BECAUSE I started singing!! As soon as I stopped the flaring did too!! I wouldn't mind but I used to be in a choir so CAN sing!! You can't help but worship him though!!

Spot is the very gentle boy, I have NEVER seen him Flare, he makes fab bubble nests for fun, I have posted pics in the photo section. **** I love these pets!! My LFS guy was teasing/tempting me the other day as he has a batch of females due in from Singapore this week!! WAAAA NEED MORE CASH!!!

chickadee
Just a note. Lower the temp a tad as the last article I read on Bettas in Tropical Fish Magazine made the point that 80 degrees was the best temp for a betta. Anything above that causes their internal organs to overwork and can shorten their lives. They are cold blooded creatures and their metabolism is ruled by the surrounding temperature. So the warmer they are the "faster" their lives go. But they have to be above 78 to keep from getting sick so I would try for between 78 and 80 with 80 being the best.

Sorry to give you one more thing to worry about. :

Rose

Tazmiche
Rose NO NEED to say sorry!!I will do now. TY for info as here Siamese Fighters are neglected. Ok I can't say that in a blanket way but def in a general way, they aren't loved.

I want my babes to live as long as possible so I will change temps.

All Betta info welcome......I try to pass it on over here....Michelle

armadillo
Flame aka Flambo is a buggeroo! So bloshy, he flared at me this morning whilst I was typing BECAUSE I started singing!! As soon as I stopped the flaring did too!! I wouldn't mind but I used to be in a choir so CAN sing!! You can't help but worship him though!!

Well I don't know Flame's taste in music, but that was no compliment, Michelle, be sure of that!

My LFS guy was teasing/tempting me the other day as he has a batch of females due in from Singapore this week!! WAAAA NEED MORE CASH!!!

Ours do that too. They're just evil, terrible, nasty, awful people pushing us further in the dark realms of our addiction!

Tazmiche
hehe

voiceless_kat

Okay, am I the only one who sees the parallels between bettas :;juanand humans????? I swear this is how it was with my first husband!! Kidding............

Val:;pumpkin

Tazmiche
haha

COBettaCouple
everyone's a critic, eh?

Tazmiche
teehee, if he wasn't so **** cute i'd be offended!!

COBettaCouple
Bettas know they're beautiful and they act like it!

chickadee
Oh, yes, I know they are very human like! I am in the dog house in a big way with all 7 of mine at the present and it is really a hard night at my house tonight. When I have one of them mad at me it is not pleasant but I have never had the whole crew mad at one time before and this is about the worst time we have had. I am really getting the cold shoulder. It is "bad mommy" and a definite :;kmg. They do not even care to eat for me they are so mad so I know this is serious. It is a bit depressing here tonight. The little dickenses are just too much to deal with tonight. I will just have to let them pout.

I was super busy and let their usual 5pm supper time go by and did not even look up from my work until it was all of a sudden 7:30pm and the lights on the tanks were still on and the fish were not fed yet!! This just never happens and they were furious!!! >

We will see if they will eat in the morning. I know they will not starve overnight but I feel like I have punished them and it does make me feel guilty. Gosh, I feel worse than when I punished the kids.

Rose

COBettaCouple
what a crew you have there, Rose! At least Bettas don't hold grudges.

Tazmiche
Oh poor you Rose!

chickadee
Well they got up HUNGRY this morning and happy to see mommy again so I guess all is back to normal again. Even Marty Jr. came right to me the moment that I called for him. I guess it really does not hurt for them to miss a meal once in a while but I think I suffered more than they did.

The little stinkers rule the roost about here for sure.

Rose

COBettaCouple
lol.. what amazing fish they are! sounds like they gave you a sulk that our little Angel would be proud of. the funny thing about Angel's sulks is now that we're onto her - she doesn't play sick fishie now, she just outright sulks! i'm glad your crew are over their sulk. ;D

Well they got up HUNGRY this morning and happy to see mommy again so I guess all is back to normal again. Even Marty Jr. came right to me the moment that I called for him. I guess it really does not hurt for them to miss a meal once in a while but I think I suffered more than they did.

The little stinkers rule the roost about here for sure.

Rose

Tazmiche
haha re Angel!!

Rose glad you are in good books again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishyFan2018
Replies
Views
New fishes
Top Bottom