Questions regarding a new 32.5 gallon reef tank Question 

uNeverCantrill

Reaction score
I managed to snag a brand new fluval 32.5 gallon tank last week on sale for $160 CDN (regular $380) and I want to make it a saltwater reef. My plan is to take out the aquasky light it came with and add that to my planted mega flex so I can get 2 of the fluval sea marine LED's for corals. I've got an m200 watt heater, a ecotech marine mp10wqd circulation pump, caribsea live sand and rock and a upgraded return pump for higher gph with intank media baskets.

I plan on adding 3 clownfish that my buddy has breed and raised together already and a coral banded shrimp or two for sure.

2 ocellaris clownfish(1 black and white, 1 regular)
1 Wyoming white clownfish

The rest is subject to change, just ideas, not sure what other inverts I'll be getting tho...

Firefish goby
Banggai cardinalfish
Yellowtail blue damsel
Royal gramma
Blenny
Watchman goby
Coral beauty* (depends on compatibility with corals and inverts)

My question is...

Do I need an ATO system and auto dosing to keep the tank stable? The problem is the tank is on a dresser so no space underneath, all I'd have space for is a small bottle of rodi water behind the tank... same with chemicals needed. Is that enough to hold the tank over with a lid for 2 weeks when on vaca, and 1 week regularly before water changes? Corals will eventually be added, most likely all easy to keep ones too.

Thanks in advance
Happy reefing!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope our salty members can help you today

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
uNeverCantrill said:
I managed to snag a brand new fluval 32.5 gallon tank last week on sale for $160 CDN (regular $380) and I want to make it a saltwater reef. My plan is to take out the aquasky light it came with and add that to my planted mega flex so I can get 2 of the fluval sea marine LED's for corals. I've got an m200 watt heater, a ecotech marine mp10wqd circulation pump, caribsea live sand and rock and a upgraded return pump for higher gph with intank media baskets.

I plan on adding 3 clownfish that my buddy has breed and raised together already and a coral banded shrimp or two for sure.

2 ocellaris clownfish(1 black and white, 1 regular)
1 Wyoming white clownfish

The rest is subject to change, just ideas, not sure what other inverts I'll be getting tho...

Firefish goby
Banggai cardinalfish
Yellowtail blue damsel
Royal gramma
Blenny
Watchman goby
Coral beauty* (depends on compatibility with corals and inverts)

My question is...

Do I need an ATO system and auto dosing to keep the tank stable? The problem is the tank is on a dresser so no space underneath, all I'd have space for is a small bottle of rodi water behind the tank... same with chemicals needed. Is that enough to hold the tank over with a lid for 2 weeks when on vaca, and 1 week regularly before water changes? Corals will eventually be added, most likely all easy to keep ones too.

Thanks in advance
Happy reefing!
The 3 clowns are unlikely to coexist long term go with 1 or a pair of them. The Damsel is likely to bully the smaller more peaceful fish. Coral Beauty I would skip as they need more space than that tank offers and can become aggressive when cramped. For a tank of that size I wouldn't do more than about 5 fish total or you will be dealing with more maintenance issues with a heavy bioload.

For lighting skip the Fluval lights as they aren't the greatest for coral growth and go with 1 or 2 of these:

VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum for Grow Coral Reef Marine Fish Tank LPS/SPS: Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

As for the ATO, there is no way a small bottle will hold for 2 weeks while on vacation. My system is larger (90 gallons with a 29 gallon sump) but I go through 4-5 gallons per week of evaporation on a regular basis. If you aren't going to do an ATO, I would suggest hiring your buddy to care for the tank for you while you are gone. I also certainly wouldn't go for 2 weeks without a partial water change on a tank of that size.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom