Questions on bristlenose pleco's

greenidentity

Reaction score
I recently purchased a bristlenose pleco. We had a regular pleco for around a month when it suddenly died. We don't know why, but I suspect it was due to a large water change with tap water that's somewhat high in ammonia. So I got a new bristlenose, mainly because they don't get as big.

I don't know too much about them. I am a little concerned because the new pleco doesn't seem to be very active. He just hangs out a lot in the back corners, and he isn't being very efficient at cleaning our tank. When we got our previous pleco, the tank was dang near clean overnight. This guy however, doesn't seem to want to work as hard. Is this normal behavior? Are they shy, or is it possible he is still adjusting. Any info and tips would be awesome. Thanks!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are great little fish! It may take a bit for him to get used to the tank at first but he should clean the tank of any algae. He also needs some raw veggies about twice a week also.
Carol

OP
G

greenidentity

Reaction score
I've never fed any raw veggies in the tank. Can someone give me good tips on how to do this? I am going to be getting some zucchinI and cucumber. Do I just drop it in there and sort of hope it lands by my pleco? How will he find it if it is too far away? Will my other fish eat it first, specifically my piggy Angelfish?

The pleco is still staying pretty much in one corner and not cleaning the tank too well. It's day 4 so I'm getting a little worried about him.

boff

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI you will have to weight it down with something like a screwcumber which is like a big corkscrew or I use a small knife handle .Don't worry about your fish finding it as soon as the light goes off he should be straight on it and it is also very good for the rest of your fish .
Have you re tested your water just to check it .

New Threads