Questions On Ada Fertilisers.

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by Hydrosolic, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Hydrosolic

HydrosolicValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    2 years
    hello!
    I have started using ADA Fertilisers for the last 4 weeks on my new carpet ‘Iwagumi’
    style tank. The only plant I have is Hemianthus callitrichoides ‘cuba’ to carpet.
    Here are my questions

1) ADA recommends using 2 ferts together for the first month of a new aquarium.
    •ADA Brighty K (potassium)
    •ADA green brightly mineral (trace elements and micro nutrients)
    Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there other macro nutrients other than potassium that plants need, for example Nitrogen, phosphorus etc?

Also I understand that the bio-load from animals in the tank is converted to nitrates and other macro nutrients for the plants but I have a fairly low bioload with only 20 amanos in a 10G. And I’m concerned that the ADA ferts rely on the animals to produce the rest of the macros, and I have too low of a bioload to support all the carpeting plants?? (Also there is no other macro ferts from ADA just Brighy K)

2) ADA recommends using •Green brightly iron supplement for a matured aquarium from 2 months on. I am wondering if carpeting plants require the extra iron? I understand that stem plants like rotala rotundafolia require iron but is it necessary for carpeting plants?

3) I have a 10 gallon, about 40 liters and the ferts recommend 1 pump (1ml) per 20 L. So I should do 2 pumps. BUT I have a large amount of space taken by the large dragon stones and substrate which I calculated takes nearly half the volume leaving 20L would I dose for 20L (1 pump) for what volume of water is left or 40L (2 pumps) for what the volume of the tank is??
    I am probably overthinking this since I don’t see people dosing ferts taking in account of the volume of water loss from hardscape.

4) Lastly, as my plant mass increase I would increase the intensity of the light, I have it at 3 levels from the 6 (half the brightness). As I increase the light intensity would I increase the dosing is the ferts and co2 too?

Thank you in advance for your time!

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,992
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

3. Vishaquatics

VishaquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +851
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    1) Plants need a ton of nutrients, such as N, K, P, Fe, B, Ca, Mg, etc. The ADA brand counts on you using ADA Aquasoil to satisfy the other nutrient levels. It doesn't factor in bioload for macros since most ADA scapes are very lightly stocked. ADA is famous for having high amounts of potassium and trace minerals in their scapes and relying on their substrate to provide most of the P and N. I don't necessarily like this approach, which is why I dose with EI. Not saying ADA style doesn't work, but it relies heavily on the substrate being great (which is why it's almost necessary to have ADA Aquasoil if you want to use ADA fertilizers for the best results).

2) Carpet plants likely won't need the extra iron, but it won't hurt them either.

3) ADA ferts are quite light as it is. The actual ppm dosage per recommended dose is very small anyways. I'd go ahead and do the full dose based on the the tank dimensions rather than also taking hardscape into account.

4) Yes, you're right. If you increase the lighting, then ferts and CO2 MUST increase. Especially the CO2. Everytime the lighting is upped, the CO2 must be upped as well.

4. OP
    OP
    Hydrosolic

HydrosolicValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +32
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you for the response,
    I am using the ADA aqausoil, and as you said will give off the rest of the nutrients not in the ADA ferts.
    However I was thinking about getting NilocG thrive fertiliser many have recommended it to me and seemed very popular.
    Would it be overkill and cause algae problems to use thrive with ADA Amazonia aquasoil as it releases some macros too or is it alright?
    Also Thrive only gives 7ppm Nitrates per dose, with three times a week adds up to 21ppm IF the plants don’t use ANY. So if the ADA soil is giving out Nitrates it won’t build up that much?
    There is also thriveC with less Nitrates and Phosphates than Thrive, if the ADA soul does give out too much macros and will build up.

I am really worried my tank would become an algae farm with too much macros nutrients, however there is such positive feedback and reviews for Thrive about how good it is. I just simply don’t know how much nutrients ADA soil gives off.

What are your thoughts? Should I even get thrive? Is there other fertilisers you recommend? Or should I just stick with ADA ferts.

Thanks!