Questions on a Dogface Pufferfish named CuJo

DreamCatcher1987

Reaction score
ok. I noticed my dogface puffer last night squinting up his face, like he was closing his eyes and stuff. I was wondering if that was normal. It is weird I have never seen him do it before. Also, a friend of mine came to the house sunday and my dogface had been acting fine, and was a dull grey almost white color. The second my friend walked in my room, the dogface started having dark brown spots show up and he was nudging himself in the rocks (he cannot go behind them for the sake if he tries to attack my chromis and clown the two will be able to escape) I tried to bekon the dogface out with a piece of shrimp and he only went and hid in his clam shell and turned black. Is it normal for them to do that with strangers? He has never done that with me, even when I first bought him, he has never changed colors like that in front of me. After my friend left, the dogface acted like nothing was wrong and he resumed the normal colors in less than a minute. Is that normal?

Also, I have a friend who works at a fish store here on the coast and he told me NOT to feed my dogface shrimp but to feed him freeze dried Krill. Is this a good idea or should I stick to shrimp? I go down to Desports seafood place twice a week and get their squid, small fish, clam, and oyster scraps to feed him along with the shrimp. Also, how often am I supposed to feed my dogface? I feed him right now about 2 or 3 times a day with a strip about 1/4 inch wide and ________________ long. He will eat a tiny piece then swim off and hide in his shell again for awhile.

any help will be greatly appreciated. I asked the guy I bought the dogface puffer from what i should feed him and the guy told me he had had the puffer for about two weeks and it had refused to eat so he was happy I had the fish eating.

oh, one more thing, is it normal for a dogface puffer to eat flake food and eat lettuce that is set up for the tang?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DreamCatcher1987

Reaction score
also here is a picture of my dogface I hope it shows up, this is him in a spiny oyster shell, his bed lol

3.jpg

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello! I dont know much about dog faced puffers but they're cute - I love the bed you've got for him! My valentini puffer changes colour quite a lot so I think it probably is quite normal. As long as he is eating and acting normal when you're around thats the main thing! They're full of character and personality aren't they?!
About feeding him - I dont know what they should be eating but i guess shrimp is ok as long he gets a variety and some veg to avoid constipation ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom