Questions from a rookie Help

1. jpjackson Initiate Member

I currently have a 75 gallon tank. It has been through the nitrogen cycle. I just checked the nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and pH. Everything was good except pH is a little high at about 8.0. I have one Oscar as well as 2 blood parrots. They are all juveniles, and I understand that eventually the tank will be too small to hold all 3 fish comfortably. Honestly, I didn't realize until after I purchased the fish that the tank would be too small. I wish I would have purchased the Oscar and let him have the tank to himself. Anyway, my blood parrots seem very scared and nervous. They instantly drop to the bottom of the tank and find a place to hide as soon as they see me. Sometimes they are completely still for hours. My Oscar seems to be doing okay. Based on the research that I have done it seems that he is doing more pouting than acting scared. I just want to know if there is anything that I should do for my blood parrots. By the way, none of the fish have never acted aggressive toward each other including the Oscar. Sometimes they all hide together in the same spot so I don't think the combination of fish is the problem.

2. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I would see if you could return the blood parrots or possibly rehome them somehow. The Oscar would do better alone as you already stated. Maybe sell them on craiglist, check out a local aquarium club, etc. Fish do a lot of strange things when stressed, and if the water is good, then it usually is the other inhabitants of the tank.

Also, just realized it was your first post, welcome to fishlore. Try searching on this forum or on google for something like "Oscar fish compatibility" or "Oscar and blood parrots" and see what you find. Odds are they probably aren't supposed to be together, although to be honest, I'm not very sure, as I don't have much experience other then when my ex had a Oscar many years ago back in college, it was kept solo as it beat up on anything else we tried to keep with it.

3. jpjackson Initiate Member

Thanks for the help. I think I will see if I can take the Blood Parrots back.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Most reputable fish stores will take them back for store credit. Just explain that you weren't informed on their needs, and now that you know more, that you realize they won't work with your setup. If they care about the animals they will gladly take them back and may make good with a possible repeat customer.

5. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I recall asking Ken (aquarist48) a moderator here who keeps BPs about their compatibility with oscars, and he felt that owning to the rather odd mouth of the BP, it would have difficulty in defending itself against an oscar.
    Keeping a single oscar can be very rewarding, as they truly do become pets (even in groups they do, but not quite to the extent that single oscars do).
    You mention that your oscar sometimes hides with the BPs---providing more hiding places, such as wood and artificial plants would help greatly in reducing any nervousness.
    I am assuming that all of your fish are quite small now, but your oscar will grow much more quickly than your BPs.
    Of course you could always add a tank, and keep them separately:). Best, rick
    Btw, should you keep the oscar, you don't need to worry too much about pH and hardness, as they are very adaptable in that way (just keep the values stable), but their water must be quite clean, a bit of a task as they are absolute pigs when eating

6. Mortisha Member Member

Welcome to FishLore. Definitely take back or re home the parrots. I have 3 and because of the odd shape of their mouths they can't defend themselves. The oscar will end up doing major damage or kill the parrots. Research what tank mates the oscar can have in there with it. They do get huge so you may be limited. If it fits in their mouth they'll eat it.

7. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

But in all fairness, oscars are so cute that they can be forgiven their occasional indiscretion, like eating one's chevy:)------------rick