Questions from a newbie

BluesKat

Reaction score
Hi, all! My name is Lisa and I live in Fayetteville AR. I'm new here and would appreciate your help! I haven't had fish for over 20 years and finally splurged a few weeks ago and got a 2 gallon aquarium for my desk. I currently have a betta and an algae eater in it. Is it too small to add maybe 2 neon tetras or 2 cherry barbs? I picked those two because, from what I've read, either of these would be ok to put in with my betta - is that right?

I'm also wondering if it's bad to leave the hood light on all the time as long as the temp stays within limits. Keeping the light on is working well as a heater and keeping the water temp constant but I don't know if fish need a "night-time".

One more thing - a few days ago I noticed numerous small holes in my betta's beautiful fins and he got progressively worse. I thought he was tearing them on a plastic plant but a friend looked at him and said it was probably fin rot. So I completely cleaned his aquarium, gravel, plants, etc. on Sunday. I let the new water cycle all day and floated both him and the algae eater for an hour before I put them back in the tank. Ever since, he's doing very little but hiding in his little cave, only coming to the top for an occasional gulp of air. What else do I need to do for my little guy? Add sea salt? What about an antibiotic?

Please e-mail me directly () so I can be sure to get your answers and thanks a million for your help!! Lisa

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Um....I wouldn't add another fish to it. What is the algae eater? Is it a Chinese Algae Eater? If so, it could have damaged the betta's fins. Do not keep the light on all day or else your aquarium will be overrun by algae.

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bettas do need night time. Mine sleeps on a flower near the water surface. You can get a 7.5 watt heater that will manage your temp much better. I keep my betta in a 2 gall with a temp between 80-82F. I imagine your hood light only keeps the water between 74-76F-- am I right? Bettas like 80. Your tank is really too small for 2 fish since your betta can get up to 3" and you need one gallon per inch of fish. Sorry for all of the "bad" news. Good luck with your fish.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hI blueskat,

a 2 gallon tank is too small even for a betta. they need at least a 5 gallon tank to live happily and they like to live alone, I bought a 5 gallon tank just for my betta today. barbs are notorious fin nippers, don't keep them with long finned fish like betta, guppy, goldfish, angels etc. barbs r schooling fish u have to keep 6 of them in a tank to avoid fin nipping. keep your aquarium lights on for10-12 hours only. because bettas rest at night.

you can give your betta a bath in a hospital tank by adding some salt or formalin in the water found in the fish store........and please get rid of the algae eater.

good luck

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore BluesKat, it sounds like your tank is new, did you let it complete its nitrogen cycle before you put fish in? That can take 2 weeks to 2 months depending. It will help if you read the articles under the heading at the bottom of this page Fish Tank Beginners Guides. When you understand the cycle, you will have a much better chance to keep that beautiful bettas fins in good health. Any time the ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates get out of a healthy range, it stresses the fish and bacterial infections start rearing their ugly heads! I agree you don't want barbs, or that Algae eater, IF it is a Chinease Algae eater, they are horrid fish. There are nice ones like the little otoes that you could add 3 or 5 and not even notice them in the long run, except they would keep your tank spotless.

Now if you don't have one get a API Master Test kit for freshwater, and test your water. IF the ammonia, or nitrite are up to 1 , or if your nitrate is up to 20 change 50% of the water, and test again tomorrow. Often if you catch fin rot fast, it can be turned around with vigorous water changes. If that doesn't help, post on the betta page, and the folks who really know their bettas will help you. Good Luck

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

New Threads