Questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by schlitz, Jan 11, 2013.

1. schlitzNew MemberMember

I have had my 90 gallon fish only tank set up for 4 1/2 months. I have a wet/dry filter with a filter bag. I have 5 snails, two hermit crabs, a bloodfire shrimp, two percula clowns, a royal gramma and a yellow tailed damsel. All have been healthy and I have not lost anything yet. I am having issues with algae. It started with brown algae. I purchased the snails and they take care of that except in the sand. They barely touch that. I also have a dark green algae that grows on my live(dead) rock skeletons and in clumbs in the sand. Are there animals I can add to the tank to help control the algae. It just looks so ugly and I rustle up the sand whenever I am having company so it looks better. I have been testing my water and everything looks good except my nitrates are around 20 ppm. Am I safe to add more fish? I have been trying to be patient but I would really like to add an angel, tang or butterfly. Thanks for any help/advice/guidance in advance.

2. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

I have been reading about Algae and have read all through this forum and other forums about dealing with it... major cause of this seems to be lighting periods and intensity....

20ppm is not to high for angelfish...

Welcome to the forums! O0

3. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi schlitz, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2
    At 4.5 months old, it's possible the tank is just going through one of its phases (algae) - depending on the type of algae you have, it could be a matter of nitrates/phosphates and/or lighting. Ideally, your NO3 would be around 5ppm, and your PO4 under 2ppm.

Any of the fish you mentioned could be fine in a 90, depending on which species specifically you are considering, and your current stocking.

4. schlitzNew MemberMember

Thanks. I have definetely cut back on my lightening. The light has been on only a few hours a day for the last month (compared to over 12 hours in the beginning). The tank itself does not get direct sunlight since I keep the blinds closed.
    Guess I will continue to deal with it. Still may look for an animal to help control.

Thanks!

5. showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

Since ur tank is so new I think that is normal. Make sure lighting is no more than 8 hrs a day. For the sand u could try a sand sifting goby. And i know certain snails and crabs will help too. I'm new to SW too. I've had my tank a little over 6 mo and really enjoy it! Good luck and enjoy ur new tank! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice