Questions for those who have had aggressive Neons, please answer!

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Akeath, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Akeath

AkeathValued MemberMember

I was wondering if you could tell me:

What form the aggression took?

How many Neons you had when they were being aggressive?

What tank size they were in?

Did the aggression abate after a while or was it continuous?

What were the other tank mates, and if the aggression was just between the Neons or between their tank mates, and how that worked:

How long the tank had been set up when you added the Neons?

Please and thank you!

2. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Are you talking about Neon Tetras?

3. OP
    OP
    Akeath

Yes, Neon Tetras, Paracheirodon innesi.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I've not had a problem with neon aggression.

5. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I've never heard of it.

6. OP
    OP
    Akeath

Good, thanks for posting that too! I'm thinking about getting them, but I saw some threads on this forum about them being aggressive sometimes. I was trying to ask questions to see if there was any pattern in anything for aggressive ones, but if you have had no aggression problems and could answer those questions too that would also be helpful, so I could see if there were any patterns for Neons that acted peaceful (like they are usually listed to be) as well.

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I've had aggressive Neons (20) in the past. They chased each other and nipped each others tails off and they ended up in my overflow filter box. The aggression was only toward other Neons. I lost them all. These were in my 33g long, heavily planted tank. The tank was set up well over a year prior to adding the Neons.

I will not try them again. I was completely surprised at the behavior toward each other.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/neon-tetra/127703-neon-tetras-missing-tails.html
    (my post #5 in the link above)

Ken

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  8. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I had 12 neons and the males were constantly fighting. No other fish were affected.

I adjusted the temp downwards until the fighting stopped and they were fine afterwards. They then lived an average of 3 years.

I believe they are better kept at lower temps (I am not certain anymore, but think it was lowered to 73F from 78F).

9. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, neons like cooler water.

10. OP
    OP
    Akeath

I would never have thought of temperature as a factor. The only other time I've heard of that effected aggression is with Ghost Shrimp. Ken, do you remember what the temperature in your aquarium was?

11. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I have 8 Neon Tetras. They barely pick on each other. They are with my female bettas and have done pretty well with aggression. IMO, I don't think they are THAT aggressive, but each individual fish is going to have a different temperament.

I think you'll find that different people have had different experiences. You just won't know for sure until you experience the Neons yourself. That's my take on the subject.

I keep that specific tank at 79F with no issues at all.

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I keep my tanks in the 78 to 80 degree range.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice