Questions for the Moderators

1. Chuck Wheat Member Member

So I'm curious about how this site runs. I've posted certain things to beginners forum, because I'm a beginner, and not long after it is moved to another and less likely to be seen area.

If I have questions about lights or substrate or plants, I know by now to post those in the appropriate places. However, my last thread was about a possible baby shrimp or some type of insect that I'm not aware of and now its located under Snails, where I'm sure there are far less people checking out and its less likely to be addressed. If nothing else, it should have been placed in a subcategory of Identification or something...if that even exists on here, I dunno cause I'm still fairly new and haven't searched every avenue of the site. Which is why I post primarily in the beginner forum.

The title had the word "hitchhiker" in it, so I am curious to know if keywords cause certain threads to be automatically moved or if there are just a lot of moderators that work diligently to organize the threads? Awhile back I posted in the beginners forum asking beginner questions about stocking and realized later that it had been moved to a stocking forum that I didn't know existed on here at the time. That doesn't really bother me because if I'd known it was there I would have posted it there; but I've seen other stocking threads in the beginners forum for days upon days and sometimes longer without being moved...so I'm wondering if the amount of comments a post is getting affects why it isn't moved, which in turn makes me wonder if I would get more informative responses if my posts weren't shuffled around so quickly.

Are any other new (or old) users noticing this? Please let me know so that I'm not feeling so paranoid and sad. :(

Having said all that, I will say that I do very much super enjoy this website. I get about 95% of my questions answered by obviously knowledgeable fish keepers. I'm not complaining about how the site runs because its not a huge issue, and it appears that most all threads get at least a single answer...I just want to know more about why certain posts are moved from the beginners forum while others of the same nature aren't.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, threads are moved to the most appropriate forum for the question to help get the best responses.
    We have many members with particular interest in certain subjects & they'll look at those sections of the forum first where their knowledge can best help.
    If your question is about a snail hitchhiker then the snail forum would be the best place as the snail keeping members are more likely to know what species it is.
    I'm one who tends to move threads, I can't help it I'm a Libran & we like order & balance ;)

3. Chuck Wheat Member Member

But my last post had nothing to do with snails. I just said hitchhiker in the title because whatever it was possibly hitchhiked from the LFS. It was some type of insect or crustacean.

I've just been noticing that my posts seem to be moved within minutes of submitting yet there are currently questions about stocking, snails, lights for plants, heaters, etc in the beginner forum and aren't marked that they've been moved. And they're all from at least 9pm yesterday but go back even further. I don't think that its some kind of conspiracy to keep me from getting answers...as I mentioned, it was just an observation I wanted to know more about. Is it just as they are noticed while the moderators are browsing?

I know that there are tons and tons of threads and it takes time to organize, so I really hope that I'm not coming off as complaining about there not being enough order here lol.

I'm also curious what stands out to prompt moving or to leave them alone? Do number of views or comments or "hot topics" get left alone if they're getting responses?

Or does everyones lists of topics show up differently, and what I'm seeing might not be what the next person is seeing? Or is it pretty synced and everyone sees the same posts if they refresh the page. I was thinking it was showing chronologically and then moved to the top with a new comment?

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Also out of curiosity, what is considered proper to be posted in the beginners forum? Or is it a forum specifically for beginners to post in, and then the moderators will move it to somewhere more appropriate?

5. Maxi1 Member Member

Hi, I love this site, find it very helpful and use it often. I have been curious as to who the moderators are. I'm not sure how to identify them, or if the moderators are all identified as such.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've just looked at your thread & that isn't the thread I thought I'd moved, that one had pics so my apologies that was my error oops!
    Threads are moved as & when we see them or we have time to go through them, number of views or comments have no bearing on whether they're moved or not, as you've said this is a very busy forum so some may get missed.

It's for people who are just starting out with fishkeeping & often have multiple questions.
    Personally I leave beginner posts with multiple questions where they are, if they have a specific question then I'll move it to the most appropriate forum.

Hi Maxi, if you look at our user names on the side they're in blue

7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

There does not appear to be any indicator though on the mobile app (what I use) but I've gotten in the habit of checking people's info when I spot somebody I haven't met before.

Thank you for your responses by the way. :3

8. Maxi1 Member Member

Coradee, umm sorry I can't find the user names. Which side? Edit, I am using an iPad

9. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Some of the threads in the beginner section get very muddy. Moving to more specific areas helps get better more concise answers.
    chuck-wheat by the time a "hitchhicker thread" was done in the beginner section, you'd probably be headed to the LFS for 5 fish you don't need, ozone free water, and thinking an alien baby will hatch any day, LOL

Good luck

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you're on an iPad look to the left of the post & you should see my user name above my avatar, it should look like this if you're using the default style.

image.jpeg

11. Maxi1 Member Member

Coradee,thanks but all the names are in blue, including mine. Both in the pad and on iPhone [​IMG]

Edit: I looked on main website on desktop computer and still didn't find settings or a way to get to my profile.

Thx for pic. Went to settings and could not find a default do I have to go through the main website? Also I can't find how to edit my profile.

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

The pad and phone are using the mobile app which isn't able to edit your profile or see the names. Through the main website you can go to the forum website which is where you can login and edit profile, and you'll be able to see people's ranks. You can not edit profile on mobile BUT if you just poke Coradee's profile picture it should show you her profile and her rank (Moderator) same for anyone, mine is Fish Helper https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

14. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The Moderators are constantly moving threads. The beginner forum tends to be a dumping ground for every topic.

Take this topic for example. It's in the beginner fish keeper section of the forum. However, it has nothing to do with fishkeeping
    The General Discussion or Using the forum would have been a better choice

As Coradee said we will move a thread if we feel it will get more attention and better responses in another sub forum.
    It also helps those who may not have posted but looking for answers to similar questions on a particular topic.

Maxi1 All names in blue is an issue with the app. If you view from a web browser only Mods names are in blue with the title Moderator under our names.

This thread is in the How Do I sub forum.
    It should help with your profile.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...nge-your-profile-info-your-mobile-device.html

BTW, Since post #5 this thread has gone off topic. Let's allow Chuck Wheat to return to his thread so we can address any other concerns he may have about his original topic.

15. silliputty23 Member Member

I agree. It does seem like threads are moved a lot and often to less popular areas.

16. Maxi1 Member Member

Chuck Wheat, sorry I totally hijacked your thread!

And thanks to everyone for the help.

17. Chuck Wheat Member Member

No worries about getting off topic. Lucy, for beginners, all of the subcategories can be a little daunting.This site is HUGE and jam packed with great info and I think thats a majority of its appeal. However, what seems to drive most new beginners here is "Help, I just bought a tank and everything is dying, please help!" and then those that stick around aren't familiar enough with the site or things like types of heaters/substrates/plants, etc. so they don't venture out of the beginner forum until much much later.

I've been a member here only a month or so, so these are only my observations. And I'm not complaining about things getting moved, because ultimately it will get seen and/or answered. And the notifications allow users to review their submitted posts. I just wanted to know how and why certain things are moved and others aren't. Like my last post about a bug or possibly a baby shrimp was put in Snails, where it still hasn't been answered (that I'm aware) and I'm thinking if it were in a more appropriate location maybe someone that saw it could have given some insight.

I know that posting questions about most topics like heaters will get relevant answers from some of the veterans of the site in their respective categories...but if its something like my last post that I have no idea what it was I don't know where to put it, so since I'm a beginner fish keeper and new to this site, typically I'll post things like that in the beginner forum.

Also, I wouldn't be offended, but I would find great humor and irony if you moved this thread to one of the subcategories you mentioned! I love the "catfish" by the way.

18. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Chuck, I agree, the forum can be a bit daunting with so many sub forums. I think doubly so when using the app.

Honestly I think your thread could have fit in a variety of forums I also think it would be almost impossible to give a positive ID on the description alone and that's why it went answered. Anything would have bee a guess.
    Here's the link if someone can help
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...bizarre-single-little-oddball-hitchhiker.html

19. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I personally choose to use the "timeline" on the app and the "Whats new" on the website and then I just see all the most recent posts regardless what sub-forum they exist in. I think a lot of long time members might do that, which is why so many questions get answers so quickly. And then the ones who specialize in something like angelfish, or crayfish, or snails etc, might spend time on those subforums and find your thread even if they weren't online when it was first posted.

Point being....I think many of the helpers on here are probably on the timeline jumping on any questions from ANY sub-forum right when it is posted. And anytime a new post is made in a thread it ends up at the top of the timeline again regardless of the sub-forum (which is why you see "bump" posted occasionally)

The most helpful ones on here will find you in the timeline, rest assured!! :)

20. Kwig Well Known Member Member

This is exactly what I do.