Questions/Concerned small bump? (new betta and overall fish owner)

1. sirwence Initiate Member

Hello; I am literally a brand new Betta (and fish) owner [less than 24 hours lol] I have tried to do my research but I feel I am just lacking tons of information no matter how hard I look :;juggle

I have a 1.5 gallon tank with a whisper filter; I have LED lights on top. I have a list of the stuff I bought honestly might be easier ill just put it at the bottom. I have a tank thermometer on the way and until than I keep cycling the heater on and off again every hour as I dont want it to get to hot in the tank. Now on to my main question..

My Betta Caliburn is a female crowntail (blue) and I didn't think I saw this when I had her at first or put her in the tank.. but when I looked at 9:15am this morning she had this little brownish lump around her under belly I was unsure if this was her defecating or something else (she ate her pellets no issue last night and its almost feeding time for her again- and as of 9:32am it seems to be gone? (I feed her twice a day from this tiny dispenser that came with the food) I will include a photo I am sorry the quality is so poor my camera couldnt focus properly due to the tank. http://i.imgur.com/ht0sA60.jpg

And please any other advice and tips would be appreciated

[h=4]Blue Female Crowntail Betta
    Petco Anubias Betta Aquarium Plant
    Petco Blue Jean Aquarium Gravel, 20 lbs.
    TetraBetta Plus Floating Mini Pellets, 1.2 oz.
    Aqueon Aquatic Flat Heater, 7.5 Watts
    Tetra AquaSafe Water Conditioner, 8.45 fl. oz.
    Tetra 1.5 Gallon LED Desktop Aquarium Kit, 7.25" L X 8.5" W X 11.5" H[/h]

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That looks about the right spot for poop so that's nothing to worry about:)

I do see some problems though. Does your heater not have a thermostat built-in? I'm sure they all do. Just leave it on and unless it's defective it will turn off by itself when it reaches temperature.

I would also highly recommend getting a bigger tank. Bettas are active fish and appreciate space. 5 gallons is my minimum;)

3. sirwence Initiate Member

Yeah I was concerned xD But I think shes alright ^^ thank you :)
    I really wanted to get a slightly bigger tank but sadly the 1.5 gallon tank was all my budget could afford; She certainly seems to be moving around a good amount which is great to see. As per the heater it doesnt seem to have one built it- I took the cycling of the it on and off from other people who owned it; I honestly can't believe I forgot to get the tank thermometer though ill have it by tomorrow morning so no worries there.

a note on my list up there ; I wound up going with a 'real' plant in the gravel than a fake one ill be adding the fake on also to give her more stuff to swim around asap

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's very odd! What are you going to do at night when you aren't there to shut it off?

If it's not too late I would look into getting a 10 gallon tank or a used setup. That size is the most popular and so is also the cheapest because of the number sold;)

Local classifieds are a great place to find excellent deals on used setups;)

5. sirwence Initiate Member

Lucky for my Fish friend I have a very odd sleep cycle though I admit id have it turned off about 2-4 hours though I live in the South East US so its not exactly chilly though im worried about my ac since I keep my room cool. haha Believe me I would but I saved up my pennies for what I had ;/ I plan to expand in the future though when I have the money (fixed income and all that) and if things are going to according to plan she will eventually be moved to a 3-5 gallon tank (I actually dont have Room for a 10 gallon haha ^^

I plan to leave it on for a long period and test how it does .. I just dont want it to over heat the water in the tank (call me paraoid) and when I have that nice digital thermometer I can keep track of it every 30 minutes or less if need be and see how warm it makes the water and how comfortable she is.. Could you perhaps tell me a tell tail sign shes distressed ?

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If the water's too warm shell probably hang out near the surface gulping air since warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen.

7. sirwence Initiate Member

alright ill be sure to keep an eye out thank you o/

8. sirwence Initiate Member

I had one more question that is worrying me especially since I dont have a way to get to the store for about 5 days. I have the mini betta pellets and the first day she ate some just fine. but last night and this morning shes simply chewing them and spitting them back out. I wasnt sure what to do

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How many of them are you feeding her? You could try presoaking a couple of pellets and then offering them to her. Sometimes they don't like the crunchy texture. Have you tried offering any other foods, like bloodworms?

10. sirwence Initiate Member

I believe the first feeding on day one was likely 4-5 of the pellets which she ate all of. (The dispenser is a slide style so it says slide and feed which I have been doing though this morning I tried only giving 2-3.) I have not tried pre soaking. should I treat the water I pre soak them in? I would have no issue getting her Bloodworms to try if I could get to the store; have no one to drive me there -..-

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's nothing to worry about, the pellets are healthy so it's just a matter of convincing her to eat:)

Many bettas will stop eating after being brought home and they don't need much so it could be that she's not hungry. Bettas can go a long time without eating so try not to worry and try again tomorrow!

12. sirwence Initiate Member

Phew - was getting concerned; should I perhaps change how I planned to feed her 1-3 pellets every 12 hours? and just once a day? And can I soak the pellets in filtered water or only treated? Oh And uh is there anything I should be getting to test my little tank for to make sure the water is ok? Forgive the questions like I said the more I read the more I realize I didnt know xD

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would still try to feed her twice a day, maybe just one pellet at a time until she starts to eat again. If she doesn't eat you can remove the pellet fairly easily. If you want you can just take a few drops of tank water to soak them in but treated water is fine, too!

Well, I would recommend the whole API Master Test Kit but if money is an issue then you can buy the individual tests. Since I don't think your tank has a filter you can start with just the ammonia test (liquid, API) which is available at Walmart quite cheaply. I do recommend getting a filter though. Sponge filters are cheap and perfect for bettas, the most expensive part of that setup is the air pump you need to run it;)

Don't worry about not know, I didn't know for years before I got around to joining this forum and asking!;D

14. sirwence Initiate Member

Alright - so spring water or treated from my fridge would be alright that way ill pre soak 1 or 2 and see.

I have a "Whisper internal filter for quiet yet efficient 3-stage filtration" though I need a new one because the snap on clip came broken so .. its held on by a rubber band xD its working just find though I need to buy more filters for it as I have just the one.

Alright thank you I have noted down to get some of those ammonia tests. thank you ^^

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Don't replace the cartridge if that's what it came with! Just rinse it in old tap water or treated water and put it back in. If it's falling apart then you can cut the floss off the frame and put it in next to the new cartridge;)