Questions Before I Get A 75 Gallon Discus Tank...

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, just some questions before I do get a Discus Tank. (75 Gallons)
1. Will the filtration be enough if I get an Aquaclear 110 and my Sponge filter (Cycled) rated for 60 gallons?
2. Will 2 Aqueon Pros be enough to keep the temperature at a good enough temperature?
3. What Substrate? I heard that darker ones make Discus pepper?
4. (A bit ahead but) Would it be better to add the discus first and then apply plants and CO2?
5. If you can give me some more info I need to know about discus! Thanks!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are a couple of good threads regarding discus in the "Freshwater Aquarium Builds" section of the forum.

I've never kept discus, but I know they like their water parameters stable and with low nitrates.

The rating for sponge filters are just an arbitrary number. How large is the sponge filter?

I would consider using 2 Aquclear 110's along with a sponge filter if it was my build.

Depending on your budget and threshold of DIY projects, I would also heavily consider going with a sump. You will have more filtration options with a sump, and a better chance with nitrate reduction.

As far as heaters are concerned, you need to factor the target temp of the tank and the lowest ambient air temp the room will reach during the year.

If your target temp is 83°f and the lowest air temp in the room might reach 63°f in the winter, that is a 20° differential your heaters need to overcome. So you will need a lot of heating power.

Our 75 gallon has an older model Aqueon Pro 250 watt heater and easily keeps it at 78°f. I've bumped the tank up to low 80°s with no problem. We live in South Texas so it doesnt get very cold here.

If you live in a colder climate, you may need a 300w-400w heater.

If you go with 2 heaters, I would recommend looking into a heater controller. It uses an external temp prob to control when it powers on/off the heaters plugged into the controller. Inkbird controllers are popular from Amazon. Finnex makes them also. The Jehmco site has professional heater controllers as well.

I would suggest also lookimg into Eheim Jager heaters. They are made in Europe and generally better quality that Aqueons in my opinion.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats and good luck with your discus adventure :). There’s a lot to do with discus. There are a lot of good threads going on now with new discus owners. BarbaraLocke started a thread called Discu gang updates. Where a lot of us talk about our tank and help anyone interested.
With a 75 g I also would recommend using 2 filters. The ac 110s will work the tidal 110 and marineland 350 are also good choices. Put a sponge over the intakes of these filters for extra filtration.

With a 75 I would use 2 heaters. Probably 250-300watts each.

Substrate can be anything you like . I use a standard gravel walnut colored. I dint use a deep depth. I went with about an inch in the front to 2” in the rear. You will be vacuuming it on a regular basis. Water changes for young 2” discus should be every day to every other day. Older discus can go longer with water changes.

My tank is planted but I don’t use co2. That’s up to you. If your familiar with using co2 than use it but if not I would wait till you know how to use it. Like on a different tank :).

What I would suggest is getting grown fish. They are easier to take care of. In a 75 you could get 7. You don’t have to buy them all at once you can buy at your pace. There are plenty of good breeders online. Again visit the discus gang thread and ask about breeders.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
There are a couple of good threads regarding discus in the "Freshwater Aquarium Builds" section of the forum.

I've never kept discus, but I know they like their water parameters stable and with low nitrates.

The rating for sponge filters are just an arbitrary number. How large is the sponge filter?

I would consider using 2 Aquclear 110's along with a sponge filter if it was my build.

Depending on your budget and threshold of DIY projects, I would also heavily consider going with a sump. You will have more filtration options with a sump, and a better chance with nitrate reduction.

As far as heaters are concerned, you need to factor the target temp of the tank and the lowest ambient air temp the room will reach during the year.

If your target temp is 83°f and the lowest air temp in the room might reach 63°f in the winter, that is a 20° differential your heaters need to overcome. So you will need a lot of heating power.

Our 75 gallon has an older model Aqueon Pro 250 watt heater and easily keeps it at 78°f. I've bumped the tank up to low 80°s with no problem. We live in South Texas so it doesnt get very cold here.

If you live in a colder climate, you may need a 300w-400w heater.

If you go with 2 heaters, I would recommend looking into a heater controller. It uses an external temp prob to control when it powers on/off the heaters plugged into the controller. Inkbird controllers are popular from Amazon. Finnex makes them also. The Jehmco site has professional heater controllers as well.

I would suggest also lookimg into Eheim Jager heaters. They are made in Europe and generally better quality that Aqueons in my opinion.
Hey,
1. Sponge Filter is about 23.5 CM tall and 7.5 CM Around.
2. Understood about the heaters but the temperature here in Ohio is a bit crazy! :)
3. Ok, thanks, I do have an Eheim Jager in my 29 and it seems to be working great!

86 ssinit said:
Congrats and good luck with your discus adventure :). There’s a lot to do with discus. There are a lot of good threads going on now with new discus owners. BarbaraLocke started a thread called Discu gang updates. Where a lot of us talk about our tank and help anyone interested.
With a 75 g I also would recommend using 2 filters. The ac 110s will work the tidal 110 and marineland 350 are also good choices. Put a sponge over the intakes of these filters for extra filtration.

With a 75 I would use 2 heaters. Probably 250-300watts each.

Substrate can be anything you like . I use a standard gravel walnut colored. I dint use a deep depth. I went with about an inch in the front to 2” in the rear. You will be vacuuming it on a regular basis. Water changes for young 2” discus should be every day to every other day. Older discus can go longer with water changes.

My tank is planted but I don’t use co2. That’s up to you. If your familiar with using co2 than use it but if not I would wait till you know how to use it. Like on a different tank :).

What I would suggest is getting grown fish. They are easier to take care of. In a 75 you could get 7. You don’t have to buy them all at once you can buy at your pace. There are plenty of good breeders online. Again visit the discus gang thread and ask about breeders.
1. Thanks! I will defiantly check that thread out sooner or later!
2. Thanks, I will check out all of those filters! I might go with AC.
3. Ok, thanks I was a bit wary about water changes because I see all these people doing like 90% water changes for their full-grown discus...
4. Thanks for the info about the substrate! I already know how it feels because of my Keyholes moving all of my sand...
5. Co2 I do not really know a much about so I could wait.
Thank you! I will use this info!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom