Questions about water parameters and fish choosing for them?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by Huskiesandfishies, Jul 19, 2015.

1. HuskiesandfishiesValued MemberMember

Hello I am here to ask a few questions about water chemistry, Do lights affect the ph of an aquarium? I have the lights off and have just tested my ph after 24 hours with aeration in my newly cycling aquarium, it reads 8.0 right now but it also has no lights on in the room, secondly with that ph of 8.0 with lights off, my KH reads 4 drops with the API freshwater master kit which is 71.6 ppm, and the GH reads 8 drops 143.2 ppms, Which fish could I possibly keep in these parameters? Thanks!!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Lights don't affect the pH, no.

You have lots of options! What kind of fish are you looking for? What size is your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    H

HuskiesandfishiesValued MemberMember

I actually have a few different tanks, but have been back and fourth with my water parameters knowing really which way to go, as Ive been told its easier to keep fish that are set for my parameters is easier than changing them.. Originally I tested my tap water and it comes out ~7,8. I did not have my bubbler at that time, so I just set some in a styrofoam bowl to the side and tested it 24 hours later it tested around 8.4.. But since Ive set up my aquarium to cycle.. I filled it yesterday and its sat with the bubble diffuser and a sponge filter (40g Breeder aquarium) for 24 hours and Ive tested it and it only reads 8.0. I originally really wanted corydoras, but I have Tahitian moon sand and after getting it it does seem a little rough to me.. personally. So unsure on that.. I also looked up parameters for cichlids and my hardness seems too low for these, but ph was ok. So Im unsure how to stock these aquariums, 2 40g breeders and 1 75 gallon. I was told my ph was too high for many fish when testing and 8.4 ph came back.

4. TexasDomer

My pH is also high, around 8.2. It was 8.4, but my driftwood has brought it down a bit.

Truthfully, most fish in LFS or chains (Petsmart, Petco, etc.) are acclimated to water parameters outside of their natural range. For pH, what's particularly important is stability. A slightly high, but stable pH is fine for many fish. Hardness is different though, and you may want to stick with soft-water fish for soft water and hard-water fish for hard water.

What other fish besides cories were you interested in? I have cories in my tank, but I have soft sand. I don't have experience with that specific brand of sand.

5. OP
    OP
    H

For other aquariums If I do consider them I may get a less sharp substrate, I didnt know when I did order it. So with a hardness of 8 (143.2 ppm) and kh of 4 (71.6 ppm) What does this open me up to? I may be interested in a single angelfish, I like rams, tetras, rainbows, gouramis, Anything with good color really.. but my water seems a little hard for some of these, unsure though.

6. TexasDomer

I'm not the best person to recommend species. I only have experience with a few. Maybe a few other members can chime in here?

7. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I'm not positive on the angel but the other fish you mentioned should be fine with your water, just make sure you acclimate them properly before introducing them. Live bearers love hard, high ph water and most are very colorful. :)

It seems like some members have had cories on tahitian moon sand without problems, I can't recall who right off though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

These days, most fish are tank-raised and bred successfully in fish farms in many Asian countries and they have learned to adapt to a broad range of pH and water hardness. All you need to do is acclimate them slowly when you first introduce them to your tank. A consistent and steady pH is more important than a pH range, really. I have heard people keeping GBRs in a pH as high as 8.2 etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    H

A low kh means the ph is unstable though doesnt it?? I will definitely keep testing ph before I actually go to stock though. I like swordtails, but really do not like the "livebearer" thing, and dont like the thought of the babies overraiding or getting eaten either lol I will try to think of a stock list and bring it back as well.. So as long as they are tank raised a high ph should be ok? How should I properly acclimate ?

10. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes a high pH should be ok as long as you properly acclimate. If your KH is low, either use substrate that buffers pH such as aragonite or something used for African cichlid tanks or you can put crushed corals into a mesh bag inside your filter. Geoff I know has experience with this.
    To properly acclimate, float the plastic bag in your tank for about 15 minutes. After, put a cup or two of tank water into the plastic bag after 5 minutes. Do this for about 20 minutes or so and you're set.

11. OP
    OP
    H

Thats how I planned to do it but wanted to make sure, will any of those options raise the ph? I dont really want it raised, but my kh is 4 (71.6ppm). I may try to go the aquabid route when ordering fish? Ill go look for a stock list now :)

12. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Yes I'm using crushed coral in my filter to buffer my pH. Jury is still out on whether it will work long term. But my kH has gone from 2 - 6 and my pH has remained stable at 7.8. Previously, it had been dropping from 7.8 out of the tap to 6.0 after a few days in the tank.

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It shouldn't really raise the pH but it will hold the PH stable if the KH drops. Like Geoff mentioned, if the KH drops the pH will drop so crushed corals will raise it back up. Sorry if that sounded confusing.

14. OP
    OP
    H

How much would I need in a 40g breeder? For the crushed coral? and how often should you change it?

On another side note, is there any stable alternative water I could use?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  15. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I have a 36g and I have 3 3"x4" media bags full of coral in my filter. It's too early to say if that's enough. The coral should last for months.

16. OP
    OP
    H

So, Crushed coral will just keep my ph where it is, but not raise it? Correct?
    And my waters KH should raise, but my GH should stay the same?
    And my water will be between medium hard and soft with an 8, and most fish should do fine in this if acclimated correcty? Even with a high ph?

Just making sure I got this correct, I have plenty of time since i JUST started cycling a few days ago.

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes whether you choose an aragonite-based substrate or crushed corals, it should hold your pH steady around 8-8.2. I personally like to use substrate made specifically for aquaria because it comes with buffering capabilities but others prefer to go with pool filter sand but that may not buffer pH well from what I have seen with others' experiences.

18. OP
    OP
    H

I already have carribsea tahitian moon sand (black sand) In one.. So a fish list for a 40 gallon breeder ive come up with is:

3 Pearl gouramis
    10 harlequin rasboras
    10 Blue emperor tetras
    14 panda corys

Is this ok with my parameters, as long with no under or overstocked? Or what would you change in this? thanks everyone for the help!

19. TexasDomer

That sounds a bit overstocked to me, but I'm not as experienced as many other people on here.

20. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'd lower the gouramis to 2, 2 of them might gang up on the 3rd one. I have CaribSea substrates in all 4 of my tanks and I love it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice