Questions about these fertilizers

1. lily potter1223

lily potter1223 Valued Member Member

So I recently just bought these fertilizers. Liquid and tablet form. The brand of the liquid is Otto and the tablets are Ista. I haven't used them yet because I'm kinda confused with the instructions.

Ista says: "...and also enable a rapid growth and a long-term effecting period up to one year"
    Does this mean I replace them every year? I'm kinda doubtful of that. There are no other instructions. Has anyone else used this? How long do you think I should wait to add another? Usually its about a couple months, right?

Otto says: "Do not use active carbon during application to prevent diminishing of medicine efficacy"
    I have a carbon filter, how am I not supposed to use it? If I do have to take it out, for how long?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You shouldn't use carbon filters in a planted tank. Is your carbon in a cartridge in your filter? If so, you can cut the top of the cartridge, remove the carbon, and put the cartridge back in.

3. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry, not familiar with those brands. I use dry fertilizer because it is cheaper for me since I have a 105 gallon tank.

For root tabs, I either put new ones every 6 months or when I see signs that my rooted plants need one.

4. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

OK thanks. So for the root tabs just put them in whenever the plants look like they need it. Gotcha.

Is there a reason why carbon shouldn't be used in planted tanks?

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Carbon absorbs impurities in the water

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Carbon is said to take in trace elements. If it does, then it's not much. I have run high tech planted tanks with carbon with no effects on the plants or ferts at all. I also know several others who have done the same just to see what the supposed neggative effects are. As far as we can tell, there is nothing wrong with having carbon in a planted tank.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe it's not a problem then? I've heard carbon can take up some of the nutrients needed by plants, but glad to know it's not enough to affect the plants!

8. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Carbon use and planted tanks is a long debated subject. I have researched it a good bit and here is what my consensus is (certainly not 100% proven and/or tested though, just a lot of reading I have done).....

Carbon may take up very small amounts of the nitrates and other macro ferts, but very very little if any. It can take up a bit more of the micro/trace elements like iron, but still not removing 100% of them. Could be anywhere from 20-40% if I had to guess. So really using carbon with planted tanks isn't a huge issue if you want to.

With that being said, I figured if we are adding nutrients to our tank for the plants, why use something that negates any of that, even if in small amounts. I would rather all the nutrients I add to the tank be available. Using carbon is a like a backup to your filtration system, helping to supplement it a bit. I feel that having plants does the same thing, backup/supplemental filtration. I do keep carbon for emergencies. But aside from that, not much point in using it, in my opinion. Especially considering you have to replace it every 3-4 weeks for it to be effective. I don't want the hassle or extra expense of having to replace the carbon every month, when my plants provide a similar, natural, and more beautiful function.

Bottom line is carbon wont remove much of your nutrients so use if you like, or don't if don't.

9. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

Soo... If I keep using the carbon in my filter, how would I add the liquid fert, since it said do not use with active carbon. Or should I just not use the carbon? Doesn't carbon also prevent your water from stinking up? My tank is in my room so I'd rather that not happening lol. Does anyone's water smell nasty when they don't use carbon? Or does the plants fix that? I honestly don't know...

10. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Mine smell fine and I don't use carbon. As far as the ferts, just dump them in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

11. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Both of our tanks are planted and we use carbon filters. Plants are doing great but we do use Seachem ferts.

12. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

The manufacturer of your fertilizer is wanting you to get 100% out of using their product. As I mentioned above, carbon can adsorb some (even if a smaller amount) of your micro trace elements, that is why they are advising to not use with carbon. You can choose to keep using carbon and those ferts, or stop using carbon if you want. Either way you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Your tank will not stink if you don't use carbon. Tanks begin to smell when you don't perform regular maintenance or if there is some problem. I haven't used carbon in my tanks for many years and never had any issues with smells. Assuming you still do weekly water changes, maintain your filter, and clean your substrate routinely, you shouldn't have any issues.

13. OP
    OP
    lily potter1223

Ok Thanks for everyone's help! I think I'm gonna go with no carbon, since its another expense. Thanks again!