Questions about the iridovirus

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, yesterday I got a male and female DG and scince getting them I have read about the iridovirus. They have settled in really well, the female has found her own little hiding spot which I can see into. She petty much stays in there and the male has a safe place but goes on more excursions. They have been picking at the driftwood and ate at feeding time so I'm really pleased with how they have settled in.;D My only worry now is the virus.:-\

Is this virus just in the U.S or is it also in the U.K?
If the worst happened how can I tell if it was the virus that did for them?
Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Scanlon, congrats on your new DG's. They're beautiful fish with great personalities.

1) Not sure about the UK, most posts we see here about DGD or sick DG's are reported the US. It's mainly coming into the US from DG's imported from Southeast Asia.

2) You probably can't, short of lab testing.

3) Sadly, no. The only thing you can do is cross your fingers, keep your water optimal or buy from a reputable local breeder.

Even if a LFS gets a good healthy stock, if they have another shipment, add them to their existing tank, if one of the new ones has DGD, the healthy ones will get it to.

An important thing to note, is that DG's are sustepable to bavterial infections that can have the same symptoms as DGD.

If your DG's look and act fine, don't fret over something that may or may not happen.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Because the key to the high rate of iridovirus was in the Indian distribution facilities, I wouldn't be surprised if it was worldwide. Only if Britain had its own community of breeders would it have been spared.
However, the rates of the infection have seemed to drop. I've heard of a few people buying them recently with no unexplained deaths.

Scanlon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the Informed replies I'll just have to hope they are ok, they seem bright and are getting bolder fingers crossed.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had a Dwarf Gourami from petsmart for about a month, and then I noticed all the signs of the indovirus. He passes 3 weeks later. so keep a close eye on the gouramis.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom