Questions about stocking order and QT

sillylittlefishey

So we have our basic stocking plan, as I've posted before for our 55 gallon...

4 Pearl Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
10 pygmy cories
6 Gold Laser cories
1 clown Pleco
8 neon dwarf Rainbowfish

I was wondering what order to add them? I know you typically add the bottom feeders last, but I was thinking of doing the pygmies 1st since they are so small. But I was also wondering since they are so small if they will have enough bioload in a 55 gallon to keep a cycle going? Or if something needs added with them or if I need to start with something else? Obviously the pleco would be last.

My tank is NOT ready, but I was thinking of setting up my QT. I have a sponge filter running in my cycled betta tank, I was thinking of moving to the QT since the betta also has a small hob running to keep his cycle in tact. I was wanting to see if the sponge would cycle the QT so we could start getting some of the fish in hopes the big tank would be ready by the time the 1st set in QT are ready. I was told the sponge would have no real effect on my 55 gal, but maybe it would on the smaller QT? Then I could at least start getting a few fish while getting my big tank ready and cycled.

I'm thinking my biggest set of fish going in QT at one time would be the 4 pearls .... how big of a QT do I need for them?

Also what meds do I need on hand? Do you have some meds you do automatically or do you wait for signs of illness? And do I need to remove the filter for some of these meds to keep it from killing the beneficial bacteria?

I've heard 3-4 weeks for QT is that abiut right?

Thanks for all your help!

PSYMON117

So we have our basic stocking plan, as I've posted before for our 55 gallon...

4 Pearl Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
10 pygmy cories
6 Gold Laser cories
1 clown Pleco
8 neon dwarf Rainbowfish

I was wondering what order to add them? I know you typically add the bottom feeders last, but I was thinking of doing the pygmies 1st since they are so small. But I was also wondering since they are so small if they will have enough bioload in a 55 gallon to keep a cycle going? Or if something needs added with them or if I need to start with something else? Obviously the pleco would be last.

My tank is NOT ready, but I was thinking of setting up my QT. I have a sponge filter running in my cycled betta tank, I was thinking of moving to the QT since the betta also has a small hob running to keep his cycle in tact. I was wanting to see if the sponge would cycle the QT so we could start getting some of the fish in hopes the big tank would be ready by the time the 1st set in QT are ready. I was told the sponge would have no real effect on my 55 gal, but maybe it would on the smaller QT? Then I could at least start getting a few fish while getting my big tank ready and cycled.

I'm thinking my biggest set of fish going in QT at one time would be the 4 pearls .... how big of a QT do I need for them?

Also what meds do I need on hand? Do you have some meds you do automatically or do you wait for signs of illness? And do I need to remove the filter for some of these meds to keep it from killing the beneficial bacteria?

I've heard 3-4 weeks for QT is that abiut right?

Thanks for all your help!
I would personally do the gouramis first. They are a very hardy fish. As for the rams, I plan to add a couple German blues to my tank. But because they are so particular I am waiting until my plants take off and I have plenty of places for them to hide. But that's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I agree gouramis are more hardy so they should probably be first. Cories can be sensitive so they would be almost last with the pleco last. If you are like me you will likely change your mind halfway through.

Upvote 0

sillylittlefishey

Ok great! How big of a quarantine tank do I need for all 4 pearls? The last time I was in the store the pearls were probably a couple inches long ....

Upvote 0

PSYMON117

Ok great! How big of a quarantine tank do I need for all 4 pearls? The last time I was in the store the pearls were probably a couple inches long ....
For a qt of a couple weeks, I would probably think 20g for juveniles? I'm kind of new though so my opinion counts for algae lol. But that would be my thought.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
sillylittlefishey
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hellfishguy