Questions about Stocking a 20 Gallon Planted Tank

• Thread starter Temijun1
  • Start date

Temijun1

I have set up a 20 gallon high as a planted tank. I started with the Marina 20 gallon kit with the led lighting option. It is a low tech tank that is a little below heavily planted. After cycling I put 3 julI corys in it( I believe 2 are fake). One got caught up in my filter and died. I put cheese cloth over the intake to solve that problem.
Now for questions:
Is 3 corys enough or do they need more?
My dream tank is a betta sorority with some hardy minnows. I was thinking something like white clouds. I have read that 5-6 female bettas is the minimum to reduce aggression. If I have 5- 6 bettas and 3 corys how many White clouds could I add?

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
I have set up a 20 gallon high as a planted tank. I started with the Marina 20 gallon kit with the led lighting option. It is a low tech tank that is a little below heavily planted. After cycling I put 3 julI corys in it( I believe 2 are fake). One got caught up in my filter and died. I put cheese cloth over the intake to solve that problem.
Now for questions:
Is 3 corys enough or do they need more?
My dream tank is a betta sorority with some hardy minnows. I was thinking something like white clouds. I have read that 5-6 female bettas is the minimum to reduce aggression. If I have 5- 6 bettas and 3 corys how many White clouds could I add?
add more corydoras! at least 3 more :)

Temijun1

My lfs has a 10 gallon tank with female bettas so I will be able to sort the really aggressive ones out.

I have hard water. ph is in the 7.6 range.
ammonia 0
N02 0
N03 >5ppm

I am considering adding an internal filter. Would that help? I also want shrimp but they are not a requirement. I’ll see how the cheese cloth works over my current filter.

6 corys? Will I be over stocking it with 5-6 bettas and 10(preferably more) white clouds?

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
My lfs has a 10 gallon tank with female bettas so I will be able to sort the really aggressive ones out.

I have hard water. ph is in the 7.6 range.
ammonia 0
N02 0
N03 >5ppm

I am considering adding an internal filter. Would that help? I also want shrimp but they are not a requirement. I’ll see how the cheese cloth works over my current filter.
If one of your corydoras dies from the filter, means either she/he was weak or the filter intake is too strong. what are you feeding them? You should look at an sponge filter, it is soft on all fish, plus if you get shrimp, the shrimp graze on the bio-film and clean it! :)

Temijun1

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
6 corys? Will I be over stocking it with 5-6 bettas and 10(preferably more) white clouds?
I would do bettas, corydoras, and shrimp! White clouds are cooler water fish while bettas are warmer water fish!

Temijun1 said:
I’m feeding API bottom feeder pellets.
Would a sponge filter be able to handle a heavy bio load?
You just add the sponge filter to the tank, don't remove the filter you already have. :) you won't be overstocked as long as you don't add white clouds. Maybe you should look into blood worms, brine shrimp, etc! Corydoras need meat in their diet :)

Temijun1

Ok. Is there a limit to how many shrimp I could get? With in reason of course. Also, will the real julI corys and the false ones be ok together?

fishsavvy said:
You just add the sponge filter to the tank, don't remove the filter you already have. :) you won't be overstocked as long as you don't add white clouds. Maybe you should look into blood worms, brine shrimp, etc! Corydoras need meat in their diet :)
Ok, I will look at sponge filters. Thanks.
The apI pellets say they have shrimp in them. Is that enough?

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
Ok. Is there a limit to how many shrimp I could get? With in reason of course. Also, will the real julI corys and the false ones be ok together?
You could get 200 shrimp if you wanted too! That is the maximum hehe! 10 shrimp per gallon is the rule :). As for the corydoras, how many false do you have?

Temijun1 said:
Ok, I will look at sponge filters. Thanks.
The apI pellets say they have shrimp in them. Is that enough?
I feed my 40 plus corydoras blood worms, earth worms, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp, etc!

Temijun1

fishsavvy said:
You could get 200 shrimp if you wanted too! That is the maximum hehe! 10 shrimp per gallon is the rule :). As for the corydoras, how many false do you have?
Wow! I am going to have some fun with this. Do you think the betta will cause much harm to the shrimp?
I have 1 false and 1 real right now. My lfs gets both under juli, just depends on the shipment.

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
Wow! I am going to have some fun with this. Do you think the betta will cause much harm to the shrimp?
I have 1 false and 1 real right now. My lfs gets both under juli, just depends on the shipment.
Your bettas may eat a few then stop. Really just depends if you feed them enough! My bettas have NEVER ate any shrimp, it was the angles that ate an expensive snack.

Temijun1

fishsavvy said:
I feed my 40 plus corydoras blood worms, earth worms, shrimp pellets, brine shrimp, etc!
Ok, I will also look into that

fishsavvy said:
Your bettas may eat a few then stop. Really just depends if you feed them enough! My bettas have NEVER ate any shrimp, it was the angles that ate an expensive snack.
Good to know thank you! You help has been incredible. I have spent a lot of time trying to find out if I was over stocking my tank.
One more thing - will the shrimp breed if the conditions are right?

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
Good to know thank you! You help has been incredible. I have spent a lot of time trying to find out if I was over stocking my tank.
One more thing - will the shrimp breed if the conditions are right?
Of course! What kind do you want to get(shrimp)? If you get RCS, they will reproduce easily, but your bettas may eat the shrimplets if there aren't enough hiding spots. I am glad I am helping you! :) Are you going to get white clouds?

Rev

Well Known
My betta has eaten shrimp. But it was also a very aggressive male. Even with females add the shrimp first just to try and lessen aggression and make sure they have hiding spots. Also to note unless you're taking all the females from the already present sorority at your LFS the hierarchy is subject to change and others may be the aggressors. So keep an eye on them :)

Prism

Well Known
Definitely do not add Whiteclouds, because they enjoy very cold water, unlike Bettas.
Watchout for the shrimp, because they could be eaten by the bettas, especially if they are hungry.

White clouds enjoy 68-73F, while Bettas 77-82F.
I would also not keep the JulI Corydora, because they also are more cold water corydora.
If you have your heart set on corydora, aI'm for Bronze Corydora.

Betta Sororities can be hard, so make sure to add cichlid caves to act as territory for the bettas.
Try to get some javamoss/susswassertang for the shrimp, because it is a very good home for them.

fishsavvy

Prism said:
Definitely do not add Whiteclouds, because they enjoy very cold water, unlike Bettas.
Watchout for the shrimp, because they could be eaten by the bettas, especially if they are hungry.

I would also not keep the JulI Corydora, because they also are more cold water corydora.

Betta Sororities can be hard, so make sure to add cichlid caves to act as territory for the bettas.
Try to get some javamoss/susswassertang for the shrimp, because it is a very good home for them.
I thought the OP knew about the plants and hiding plants, so I didn't mention that. As for the false corydoras, they should be kept around 76, which 76 isn't bad for the bettas, so I think it will be fine.

Prism

Well Known
fishsavvy said:
I thought the OP knew about the plants and hiding plants, so I didn't mention that. As for the false corydoras, they should be kept around 76, which 76 isn't bad for the bettas, so I think it will be fine.
76F isn't the best for Bettas, because it most likely will slow down their motabolism, and get chubby.
When trying to start a sorority, one thing while choosing the bettas is, don't get the same colors.

If you purchase the same colors, they will want to find which is the dominant one, and fight.
Also, your going to have the dominant bettas that will swim the top, of the tank and hog the food, so watchout.
read more: Betta Sororities

Temijun1

fishsavvy said:
Of course! What kind do you want to get(shrimp)? If you get RCS, they will reproduce easily, but your bettas may eat the shrimplets if there aren't enough hiding spots. I am glad I am helping you! :) Are you going to get white clouds?
If the white clouds won’t work in that tank I won’t get them. I wanted it to have other fish in the tank. I haven’t spent much time on shrimp. I will have to look into them a bit. I would assume there will be some RCS.

fishsavvy

Prism said:
76F isn't the best for Bettas, because it most likely will slow down their motabolism, and get chubby.
When trying to start a sorority, one thing while choosing the bettas is, don't get the same colors.

If you purchase the same colors, they will want to find which is the dominant one, and fight.
Also, your going to have the dominant bettas that will swim the top, of the tank and hog the food, so watchout.
They get chubby when they get fed too much. I used to have a betta sorority for a few years. I kept the temp at 78. I had 10 bettas(females) in 40 gallon.

Temijun1

Prism said:

I have lots of hiding places for shrimp/ betta. I am not set on corys, I have 2 JulI (1 false) right now so I need to stick with the same breed right?

Prism said:

Thanks for the tip and the link. My tank is just under 80F right now

fishsavvy

If you feel better, go ahead and get albino corydoras ad get rid of the false and true juli's. Albinos like warmer temp like bettas.

OP are you a beginner with fish? If so, I don't suggest you try a betta sorority as it is a very tedious task.

Temijun1

Temijun1 said:
I have lots of hiding places for shrimp/ betta. I am not set on corys, I have 2 JulI (1 false) right now so I need to stick with the same breed right?
I could see if the lfs would take them back. If I did that what would be a good replacement?

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
I could see if the lfs would take them back. If I did that what would be a good replacement?
albinos are the perfect corydoras with bettas! very gentle creatures!

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP

Temijun1

fishsavvy said:
OP are you a beginner with fish? If so, I don't suggest you try a betta sorority as it is a very tedious task.
I’ve had a 10 gallon with lots of plants and some tetras and snails for a little over 3 years now.

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
I’ve had a 10 gallon with lots of plants and some tetras and snails for a little over 3 years now.
So you have never had a betta before?

Temijun1

FinalFins said:
SterbaI cories are supposedly a cory that can take heat.
I’m not stuck on corys, I think they would be fun but if there if a better option I would be open to it.

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
I’m not stuck on corys, I think they would be fun but if there if a better option I would be open to it.
sterbaI cories are corydoras :)

Temijun1

fishsavvy said:
So you have never had a betta before?
I’ve had a male betta quite a few years ago. He was in a small tank with a lot of plants( notice a theme lol)

fishsavvy

I recommend you wait a while until you have more experience with bettas. A betta soroity is high maintenance. Maybe get a female and start with that. Would you consider that?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
david1978 knows a decent bit about betta sororities

Temijun1

fishsavvy said:
sterbaI cories are corydoras :)
Sorry, wasn’t very clear. I ment that with everyone throwing out different types of corys that might work that I would be open to a different type of fish if there was a better one.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Temijun1 said:
Sorry, wasn’t very clear. I ment that with everyone throwing out different types of corys that might work that I would be open to a different type of fish if there was a better one.
otocinclus

Temijun1

fishsavvy said:
I recommend you wait a while until you have more experience with bettas. A betta soroity is high maintenance. Maybe get a female and start with that. Would you consider that?
I thought that by buying them all out of the same tank would reduce the aggression? What other problem would I run into?

fishsavvy

Temijun1 said:
I thought that by buying them all out of the same tank would reduce the aggression? What other problem would I run into?
Lots of problems ! Putting female bettas together is hard. You need experience and need to know when there is aggression verus when they are just setting a pecking order. When a female is aggressive, I put her in time-out. Buying them from the same tank will reduce it, but how many are there in the tank? You have to buy all of them from the tank in order to not have a new pecking order. It is a lot of work.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Starting with one could lead to extra aggression when you have one, older betta with a bunch of new, young bettas

fishsavvy said:
When a female is aggressive, I put her in time-out.
Very curious to this, I don't find this a viable method of discipline in fish.

fishsavvy

FinalFins said:
Very curious to this, I don't find this a viable method of discipline in fish.
In a betta sorority, it teaches the females you can’t just start randomly attacking other females. Have you ever had a betta sorority ?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
fishsavvy said:
In a betta sorority, it teaches the females you can’t just start randomly attacking other females. Have you ever had a betta sorority ?
No, but I've done research into the subject.

I just don't feel like bettas get that solitary confinement means you've been naughty. They don't have that kind of thought although I've taught my betta to jump on command so they are not as dumb as thought?

fishsavvy

FinalFins said:
No, but I've done research into the subject.

I just don't feel like bettas get that solitary confinement means you've been naughty. They don't have that kind of thought although I've taught my betta to jump on command so they are not as dumb as thought?
Doing research verus actually having the experience are two very different things. I never said bettas were dumb? They are actually very intelligent.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
fishsavvy said:
Doing research verus actually having the experience are two very different things. I never said bettas were dumb? They are actually very intelligent.
I'd like the debate moved to PM as not to hijack OP thread. I've pmed

david1978

Fishlore Legend
I'm not sure what is fact and what is a myth with sororities. I have broken every "rule" with having one and so far so good. I have a few opinions if I was to do it again after reading way too many failures with them. 20 gallon long minimum. 5-7 girls minimum. Many lines of sight breaks. Start with young females. Have a spare tank ready just in case one of the girls happens to be a boy.

Top Bottom