Questions About Shrimp

MossMark

Hello! I have a 20 gal with 6 neon tetras (planning to get 4 more in the near future) and am interested in adding some cherry shrimp. My questions are:
1) Do I need to quarantine the shrimp before adding them to the tank? I haven’t been able to find a clear answer for this.
2) How many should I get?
3) Do I need to feed them anything specific or is leftover food enough?
4) My tank has a higher pH, would that be ok for the shrimp?

Any other info/recommendations would be very appreciated as well.

RogueFebreze

If the breeder or source is reputable and you don't see any white worms on their heads or green fungus on their back legs, you can probably skip the quarantine. If you get 8-10, then they will probably establish and breed in your tank. You can get sinking pellets, I prefer the hikari brand. Shrimp will eat algae and leftover food, but it helps to supplement their diet. How high of a pH are we talking? Shrimp can adapt within the 6-8 range, but really thrive from around 7-7.5.

MossMark

If the breeder or source is reputable and you don't see any white worms on their heads or green fungus on their back legs, you can probably skip the quarantine. If you get 8-10, then they will probably establish and breed in your tank. You can get sinking pellets, I prefer the hikari brand. Shrimp will eat algae and leftover food, but it helps to supplement their diet. How high of a pH are we talking? Shrimp can adapt within the 6-8 range, but really thrive from around 7-7.5.
Thanks for the info, I’ll work on trying to find a good shrimp breeder. My pH is around 7.8.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shrimpee
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies