Questions About Selectively Breeding RCS

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by RandomZoid, Dec 21, 2012.

1. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

So I have a good batch of RCS going in my heavily planted 10gallon tank. I want to try to selectively breed some of these shrimp cause even though the oldest shrimplets are only a week and a half it is very apparent that some of the females are much more red than others.

I have a 30gallon heavily planted tank that I want to move the reddest females in order to breed the best color ones in the 30gallo tank.

Here is my question: What is the best way to pick out which males to move into the 30gallon tank? Do I just pick the ones with the most red spots on them or is there something more particular I could look for that would indicate good health or color?

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

If you want to selectively breed for color then I would pick the darkest ones, if you want to breed for size then you pick the largest ones...etc....

3. OP
    OP
    RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

Ok well I am going for some really bright red (not dark) so I already know which females and how I'm choosing. I just want to know if theres anything on males that indicate light color/dark color, healthy/weak ect.

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

You should be able to look at them and tell. If you can't then there's not a whole lot of difference between them. Also note that they will go clear when stressed so one may look a lot nicer than it does after it's been sitting in a dip n pour for a few minutes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice