Question questions about safely using a UV filter

cheesepuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know using a UV filter in the wrong manner can be very bad for your tank. I heard it can even lead to things like new tank syndrome. I have a UV filter and I have heard that it can help keep the water clear, however I want to make sure I know how to use it properly and safely before I use it. It is a 13 watts UV light bulb in a fully submersible pump that runs at a little over 200 gallons per hour. It would be residing inside of a 30 gallon tank. The water flow is adjustable so it does not have to be a full 200 Plus gallons per hour.

I do not believe my tank has gone through his first full cycle as of yet. considering that this thing will destroy good and bad bacteria, I have decided not to implement it as of yet. I would however like to know how and when to go about doing so. any thoughts?

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A UV will not uncycle your tank. Your beneficial bacteria colony is not free floating and the only things exposed to your UV will be those sucked in by the pump and passes through the chamber. You will be ok placing it into your tank and having it run. Best of luck.

Srrman

Reaction score
Cheesepuff
Sounds like you have an Aquatic. I was thinking of getting one of those. If it is an Aquatic, I would be interested in hearing how it works for you.

cheesepuff

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll be sure to do a review on it after I use it for a bit

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom