questions about safely using a UV filter Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by cheesepuff, Jul 18, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

I know using a UV filter in the wrong manner can be very bad for your tank. I heard it can even lead to things like new tank syndrome. I have a UV filter and I have heard that it can help keep the water clear, however I want to make sure I know how to use it properly and safely before I use it. It is a 13 watts UV light bulb in a fully submersible pump that runs at a little over 200 gallons per hour. It would be residing inside of a 30 gallon tank. The water flow is adjustable so it does not have to be a full 200 Plus gallons per hour.

I do not believe my tank has gone through his first full cycle as of yet. considering that this thing will destroy good and bad bacteria, I have decided not to implement it as of yet. I would however like to know how and when to go about doing so. any thoughts?

2. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

A UV will not uncycle your tank. Your beneficial bacteria colony is not free floating and the only things exposed to your UV will be those sucked in by the pump and passes through the chamber. You will be ok placing it into your tank and having it run. Best of luck.

3. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

thank! exactly what I needed to know.

4. S

Srrman New Member Member

Cheesepuff
    Sounds like you have an Aquatic. I was thinking of getting one of those. If it is an Aquatic, I would be interested in hearing how it works for you.

5. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I'll be sure to do a review on it after I use it for a bit

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. S

Srrman New Member Member

Just reread my post. That was supposed to be Aquatop

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice