Questions about rabbit care

mosaicguppy

I just received two little lop-eared rabbits from someone else and I'm wondering how often I need to clean out their hutch. They were from the same litter and appear to both be females. I just gave them a bath this afternoon since they both had really muddy feet and they both seem to be happy now.I have decided to clean out their hutch tommorrow so they might need another bath! I will get rid of most of the hay and scrub the hutch, put fresh newspapers in then the hay, give both the rabbits a nice wash, dry them then carry them back to their clean hutch, does this sound good? what's a good way to get a rabbit to go back to it's hutch at the end of the day when I let them out for a run? one of them likes being picked up but the other clearly doesn't. she struggles but I managed to calm her for the wash today and she fell asleep in my arms when I was carrying her back to the hutch so I guess it's not that bad... I have a million questions about them right now! I just love them so much!

Aj17

Congrats on the new pets! You can train them to use a litter box to make cleaning easier. Until then, clean out the cage once a week. Spot clean everyday or so, so it doesn't stink too much For the one who does't like to be held, try using really good food to lure her. And treat her when she lets you hold her.

mosaicguppy

I was thinking about that... How do you train a rabbit to use a litter box? Thankyou very much for your tips, I guess I'll have to train her so she'll let me handle her. They are not young rabbits either, the person who had them had them for more than half a year and bought them when they were young, does that mean it'll be more difficult to get her to get used to being handled?

I cleaned their hutch! Fresh, clean hay with fresh newspapers at the bottom. They've been given more than half a carrot today so far, I'm getting rabbit pellets on Sunday.Would they survive on carrots and maybe other things till then?

Aj17

Training may be a take a little longer, but it is very much possible! Work with them everyday for a few minutes. For the litter training, first get a litter pan (from the small pet section or a kitten litter box would work) and some litter. Yesterdays news is very good, it's in the cat litter section or you can look for some small animal litter. Just don't get the clumping clay stuff. You want it to be a pellet-like litter. Fill the pan with some litter and put in some of the rabbits droppings. They will see and smell it and be more inclined to go potty in there. Also, do you notice a particular corner they like to go in? I had rats and they always went in one or two corners only. If so, put it in that spot.
Yes, they will survive, but it's not the healthiest. See if they will eat some pasta or healthy cereal and give them lots of fruits and veggies

mosaicguppy

Thankyou for all your help! I only have carrots and apples at home at the moment so that'll have to do for now.

Aj17

Your welcome Good luck!

mosaicguppy

I got a 3kg bag of rabbit and guinea pig mix today and gave them both a small portion. They seem to like carrots and prefer that over everything else,is two carrots each day(one each) too much?

Aj17

Whole carrots? Or baby carrots?

mosaicguppy

Whole carrots of different sizes

Aj17

Sorry, I'm not an expert on how much to feed rabbits...try googling it, hopefully you'll find some info!

RogueAgent94

Hello!

Congrats on getting new pets!

Feeding carrots everyday isn't very healthy. Mine always had diarrea whenever I fed them too much carrot. Try chopping up some carrots and putting it with the dry food you bought them. That should entice them enough to eat the dry stuff. I also fed mine a lot of veggies. They will eat all kinds of veggies. Mine especially liked Lettuce. They will also relish cookies/biscuits. Just make sure it doesn't have anything but salt on it. You shouldn't feed too many though. Mine got a few every week. They seemed to like the salty ones better.

Hope this helped!

mosaicguppy

thankyou both, I heard that cauliflower leaves are very good for rabbits so they're getting that and some celery. I read that lettuce gives them diarrea? What are some other good veggies to give? I was thinking some parsley?

Akari_32

We give our rabbit all kinds of things.

Peas (in the pods. A big hit), Green beans, Mustard Greens, Curly Endives, Spinach, Celery, Celery leaves (favorite, by far. She goes nuts for it), BroccollI flowers (we used to grow broccolli, and when the plant is done producing, it shoots off long stems with little yellow flowers), Basil, Cumumber skins, ZuccinI and Squash skins (and some times the ocational slice), grapes, cantalope, honeydew, Baby Carrots. Pretty much, as long as its not too acidy, it should be ok. And each one likes something different. Some even like Potatoes.

For Hay's, I find Medow Grass to be really good. My rabbit has a sweet tooth, and she hates alfalfa and Timothy. Looooves Medow Grass, though.

You should look into Yogurt treats. You can get them just about anywhere. Kaytee, Animal Planet, and a couple other brands, make them. Princess really likes the Yogurt Chips made my Kaytee.

mosaicguppy

Thankyou Akari! I was worried that they might become a bit overweight earlier from me feeding them carrots for the last four days but now I've discovered so many things that they can eat, I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem. the two naughty girls have to be watched wherever they go or they're garanteed to get into trouble!

RogueAgent94

Mine ate lettuce without trouble . AkarI gave you a lot of choices ;D. Mine basically ate all veggies and fruits without trouble. I couldn't get dried rabbit food in India like you can so they got a very fresh diet .

mosaicguppy

I discovered that rabbit mix might not be the best choice for the two bunnies either, contains dried corn which seems to be bad for rabbits? I gave them two cauliflower leaves each and some flat leaf parsley which they ate happily though.I was a bit worried that they might get in trouble outside since the neighbours have cats so I left them in the bathroom for a play and it turned out that was the worst choice I've ever made! the two girls tipped over stuff and left bunny footprints all over the floor after tearing all the newspaper I laid down and tossing them aside.Guess there's no choice than to watch them... Taking care of rabbits is so much work (even though I enjoy it)!

BettaBuddy

Carrots make rabbits sick! Stop feeding them veggies now! They can only have a few small pieces of veggies a week. They need timothy hay (not alfalfa, as this is fed to fatten rabbits up to slaughter) Veggies are like candy to them and it will make them sick if they eat too much. They're digestive systems are very delicate.

I've had many many rabbits over the past 4 years. They need unlimited amounts of hay and a couple of scoops of pellets. Not the fancy pellets that have seeds and corn and stuff in it, as this will make them fat and not want their timothy hay.

Rabbits will usually use one corner as their "litter area" Put the litter box in that corner and put some of their droppings in the box. They will soon realize this is where they need to go. I've trained all of my rabbits by doing it this way.

I do a spot clean every day and a litter box change when it starts to fill up or get stinky.

How old are the rabbits? Are they spayed? If not and they're young, you could run into trouble once they start to mature. ONe will become dominate and hurt the other, possibly killing it. I've had this happen with two boys (brothers), but girls are the same, if not worse.

Lettuce can make their stomach swell up with gas and kill them because they can't release that air like other animals. That's why you need to stay away from broccoli, lettuce, and other greens. DOn't get me wrong, veggies are fine in moderation!

I chop up bananas and freeze the pieces and use these as a great summer treat. Just one slice a day. If your rabbit is feeling sick from all those veggies, give her some plain, uncooked oatmeal. This will help calm her tummy and make her go to the bathroom to get all those veggies out of her system.

Rabbits can get sick from baths too. Just so you know. You shouldn't bathe them unless they REALLY need it. If they stink, you can buy some bunny perfume from Petsmart, that's what I use. OR dip their feet in the water and just wash those, not the whole rabbit. It stresses them out. Sometimes a bath is necessary, but shouldn't be done just to give them a bath. It sounds like they needed one for their feet so good job! Sometimes white rabbits will get those awful yellow feet and it will get all matted and ungroomable. You can encourage a rabbit to clean itself by spritzing some water on it. It will start to lick it all up.

I hope this post helps you. If you need more info, let me know. COngrats on your new pets

I discovered that rabbit mix might not be the best choice for the two bunnies either, contains dried corn which seems to be bad for rabbits? I gave them two cauliflower leaves each and some flat leaf parsley which they ate happily though.I was a bit worried that they might get in trouble outside since the neighbours have cats so I left them in the bathroom for a play and it turned out that was the worst choice I've ever made! the two girls tipped over stuff and left bunny footprints all over the floor after tearing all the newspaper I laid down and tossing them aside.Guess there's no choice than to watch them... Taking care of rabbits is so much work (even though I enjoy it)!

Rabbits love to explore and get into trouble. I put up baby gates and let them run in the hallway on the tile floor (incase they have an accident). I give them toys to play with like old shoe boxes with holes cut in them (great for running through) toilet paper rolls with no toilet paper on them, newspaper to tear up, and soccer balls to push around with their noses. If you have a plastic slinky, they like to bite those and throw them. You can take a toilet paper roll, cut holes in it, and stuff it with timothy grass and watch them attack it to get the grass. It's pretty funny and keeps them entertained.

They love (and need) to chew, so make sure you have some rabbit safe wood. They're teeth constantly grow for their whole life. If you don't provide them things to chew on, not only will their teeth grow too big for them to eat properly, but it will often times lead them to chew on things they shouldn't, like baseboards, walls, cages, and furniture.

Here's Bella in her "hallway time" with all her toys:

THose red cubes are cat cubes. They also like stuffed animals IF there are not buttons or eyes that they can bite off and swallow. I don't recommend using stuffed animals unless you'll be there to watch them with it.

Also, here's a video of Bella's cage. She has it all to herself now. You can see all the toys I was telling you about:

Akari_32

Corn is not good for Bunnies. I don't remember what it does, but they can't have it. I let my Rabbit run around in the yard (I have a privacy fence) with the dogs (they know not to play with her or they'll get in trouble lol), and she loves to dig and eat grass and sniff around. When she gets tired, she plops down in the dirt and stretches out XD And yes, the are good at getting into trouble

Now I'm just gunna go into some detail below =3

Carrots make rabbits sick! Stop feeding them veggies now! They can only have a few small pieces of veggies a week. They need timothy hay (not alfalfa, as this is fed to fatten rabbits up to slaughter) Veggies are like candy to them and it will make them sick if they eat too much. They're digestive systems are very delicate.

Carrots only make them sick if you feed then a whole bunch of them all the time. They are full of starch, which is a sugar. Theres nothing wrong with feeding alfalfa hay, either, as long as its in moderation. Its got a good amount of protein, with rabbits don't need much of. I've never had a rabbit get sick from a lot of veggies, which leads me to believe that you may have had (or have) one that was sensative to something...

I've had many many rabbits over the past 4 years. They need unlimited amounts of hay and a couple of scoops of pellets. Not the fancy pellets that have seeds and corn and stuff in it, as this will make them fat and not want their timothy hay.

Unlimited hay is good. I forgot about that, we don't use hay because we have a high quality pellet food, Nutrina.

Rabbits will usually use one corner as their "litter area" Put the litter box in that corner and put some of their droppings in the box. They will soon realize this is where they need to go. I've trained all of my rabbits by doing it this way.

You should tell my rabbit that XD She goes where ever she wants. Makes cleaning a pain... Generally, yes, they do use spot lol

How old are the rabbits? Are they spayed? If not and they're young, you could run into trouble once they start to mature. ONe will become dominate and hurt the other, possibly killing it. I've had this happen with two boys (brothers), but girls are the same, if not worse.

Older rabbits shouldnt be fixed. They are sensative to anesthesia, and often times don't wake up. If they are young, go for!

DOn't get me wrong, veggies are fine in moderation!

Moderation is definitely the key, but there's nothing wrong with giving the appropriate veggies every day.

I chop up bananas and freeze the pieces and use these as a great summer treat. Just one slice a day. If your rabbit is feeling sick from all those veggies, give her some plain, uncooked oatmeal. This will help calm her tummy and make her go to the bathroom to get all those veggies out of her system.

I forgot about bananas! My little sweet-tooth Princess is obsessed with bananas <3 I also give her a 1/3 cup of oatmeal every now and then (not too often, as we don't really keep anything other then instant packets). Its a nice treat though, and she seems to think so lol

BettaBuddy

Carrots only make them sick if you feed then a whole bunch of them all the time. They are full of starch, which is a sugar. Theres nothing wrong with feeding alfalfa hay, either, as long as its in moderation. Its got a good amount of protein, with rabbits don't need much of. I've never had a rabbit get sick from a lot of veggies, which leads me to believe that you may have had (or have) one that was sensative to something...

They were feeding them teo whole carrots a day which is bad. Half a carrot a week would be okay. And I just said Timothy hay is healthier. I never had a rabbit who was sensitive to veggies because I only give them a few at a time. I've heard horror stories though.

mosaicguppy

I stopped feeding carrots,now they get cauliflower leaves each day with some celery and parsley.I just let them out for some exercise and the two naughty girls are already getting into the smallest spaces they can find...

Akari_32

I stopped feeding carrots,now they get cauliflower leaves each day with some celery and parsley.I just let them out for some exercise and the two naughty girls are already getting into the smallest spaces they can find...

Lol yup, that's what they do XD

I do want to know one thing. WHERE'S THE PICS!?!?!?!

mosaicguppy

Lol yup, that's what they do XD

I do want to know one thing. WHERE'S THE PICS!?!?!?!

I'm sorry, but I'm kind of known to break stuff (and I often make it worse by trying to fix them).they are both dwarf butterfly lops, one black and white, the other grey and white. Adorable little girls!

Akari_32

I'm sorry, but I'm kind of known to break stuff (and I often make it worse by trying to fix them).they are both dwarf butterfly lops, one black and white, the other grey and white. Adorable little girls!

I shall Google them

My little Princess is a MinI Lop (about the size of an average sized house cat, laying down) <3

*EDIT* SOOOO CUUUUUUUTE!!! I love rabbits lol I was playing with a really cute one at Pet Supermarket today <3

mosaicguppy

I remember seeing a little fawn dwarf lop in a pet store, I wanted him sooooooo bad! Your princess is gorgeous Akari! Bunnies are just so cute and cuddly (although I wouldn't describe mine as cuddly)!

Akari_32

LOL They'll calm down when they get older. Dunno what pics you saw of Princess (or if you even did), but here's my latest, from Easter.

I also have a lot of pics on Photobucket (Akari_32) =3

mosaicguppy

She is gorgeous! If I put my two on a table, it'll be a disaster! Isn't Princess a dwarf butterfly lop too? She has very similar patterns to my two except different colour.

Akari_32

She is gorgeous! If I put my two on a table, it'll be a disaster! Isn't Princess a dwarf butterfly lop too? She has very similar patterns to my two except different colour.

I just know that we call them MinI Lop's here. Could very well be the same thing, just a different common name (though, that's some what of an oxy-moron LOL).

She's like a billion years old, so not much activity left in her lol I got her from our neighbor, who got them from our other neighbor's grand-daughter, along with her sister, Betty (grey and white). I don't really know how old they are, but I'm guessing atleast 7. Princess has cateracts in one eye, and it runs all the time (and the little brat won't let me clean it, either >.<). Betty passed away a could months ago. I think Princess is the worlds oldest rabbit LOL

mosaicguppy

the person I got them from raised them from a young age so I don't exactly know how old they are either. the black one is bigger and calmer when held. The smaller one is the most naughty one who wriggles and struggles a bit when held.I don't know how they even survived for the last few days, you don't want to see what they've done to the bathroom! I have them in there again because it's raining and the little grey and white one made me chase her out in the rain so we were both soaking wet when she finally decided the hutch was a better place to be.naughty rabbit!

BettaBuddy

arky
LOL They'll calm down when they get older. Dunno what pics you saw of Princess (or if you even did), but here's my latest, from Easter.

I also have a lot of pics on Photobucket (Akari_32) =3

That looks just like my Bella! Although, Bella has lighter brown fur.

Attachments

• rsz_dsc02660.jpg
    rsz_dsc02660.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 124

mosaicguppy

arky

That looks just like my Bella from the video I posted! Although, Bella has lighter brown fur.

Bella is gorgeous too! I just love brown bunnies!

cleaned out their hutch today... It smelled worse than someone who hasn't showered in years! just wondering, how do you get rid of the smell? I had to hold my breath when I was scrubbing the floor so you can imagine how bad the smell was...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RedGallant
  • Question
  • FishGirl115
  • Rabbit
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views