Questions About Quarantining

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Gary1962, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Gary1962Valued MemberMember

I've never had the facilities for a quarantine tank.
    But a few months back I brought 6 new fish into my aquarium and have since lost half my stock to a slow moving strain of colummaris.
    This seems to finally passed & I hope to start re-stocking soon.
    After this experience I'm thinking hard about finding a way to set up a quarantine tank.
    The thing is, the 6 new fish never showed any visible signs of illness. Even know they seem fine and are doing okay.
    I don't know how a quarantine tank would have helped and whether or not it's worth going out of my way to set one up now?

2. HeronValued MemberMember

I would always recommend having a quarantine tank not only for quarantine but also to double as a hospital tank. You need not spend much money on one. I have a 12L plastic tank with an air pump connected to both an air stone and a simple filter.plus a cheap 25 W heater. I have a second filter with both foam and carbon . The whole lot came to about 30 pounds of Amazon, there's no need to buy expensive kit if it's just for occasional use. I use the filter with carbon when it's a quarantine tank and the foam only one when using it as a hospital ( carbon removes medications so is unsuitable.) If quarantining fish that need cover add plastic plants so you don't have to keep plants alive when not in use. I don't use a substrate because it makes it easier to clean after dealing with I'll fish. I would quarantine new fish for 2 weeks and for longer if they appear I'll. Some fish can carry disease that doesn't affect them but sometimes it's not the fish but the water they come in that carries the disease so avoid ever adding bag water to your main tank. If you use the quarantine tank and net the fish to transfer them you avoid this.