Questions about QT tanks

fishrule101
1. Should they be established like a stocked tank?

2. Some people say that I will only need to set it up when I'm about to get new fish. Don't tanks,even if being setup again, cycle when staring up? I don't want to wait till it finishes cyling every time I want a new fish.

3. If it does need to be established, will I need to put LR in there?

4. I'm going to quarantine the new fish for a maximum and minimum of three weeks. Unless they get sick or something. Is this ok?

5. Do invertebrates need to be quarantine?

The QT is going to be ten gallons.

Peterpiper
1. Should they be established like a stocked tank?

2. Some people say that I will only need to set it up when I'm about to get new fish. Don't tanks,even if being setup again, cycle when staring up? I don't want to wait till it finishes cyling every time I want a new fish.

3. If it does need to be established, will I need to put LR in there?

4. I'm going to quarantine the new fish for a maximum and minimum of three weeks. Unless they get sick or something. Is this ok?

5. Do invertebrates need to be quarantine?

The QT is going to be ten gallons.

1, They don't have to be, just have a heater filter and air line.
2, As the Q tank is only to be used for 3 weeks I would use Prime to detox the water and do daily water changes 25%
3, You can place some of the LR in the Q, the fish will be happier. But if the fish are sick you can not put the LR back in the DT as you may spread it.
4, 2 weeks is the norm
5, I have not Q any..... good Q

fishrule101
1, They don't have to be, just have a heater filter and air line.
2, As the Q tank is only to be used for 3 weeks I would use Prime to detox the water and do daily water changes 25%
3, You can place some of the LR in the Q, the fish will be happier. But if the fish are sick you can not put the LR back in the DT as you may spread it.
4, 2 weeks is the norm
5, I have not Q any..... good Q

Thanks for the help. I can't do daily water changes. My SM will quickly run out and the nearest store is about an hour away. Any other thoughts?

sgould
As long as you are not medicating the QT, just take a couple of good sized pieces of live rock from the main tank and place in the QT during the new fishes quarantine period.

travie
PVC pipe works well for caves. I wouldn't put any LR into a QT tank, because I wouldn't want it to be put back in the display tank. You can put filter media like the ceramic rings into your display tank, then move it over to the QT as needed.

agsansoo
If your talking one or two fish, then a seeded sponge filter, heater and an air stone plus weekly water changes is all you need. Keep it simple ! No need for live rock since bio-load is low.

Matt
Live rock can help a lot with the cycling of the tank but I would leave it in there once the fish are in there.

Most people don't use QT. For some people their fish never get sick

Good On You For Wanting To Stay Safe Though

Best Of Luck

Matt

NirvanaandTool
Personally I don't have any LR in my QT tank. LR + Meds = waste of LR.
I have two fake rock decorations left over from my old Freshwater tank and a PVC Y joint just so the fish have some cover.

I keep it running but when I'm ready to add fish, I add Bio-Spira and then check the levels periodically to make sure that the levels aren't all out of wack.

Aries
If your talking one or two fish, then a seeded sponge filter, heater and an air stone plus weekly water changes is all you need. Keep it simple ! No need for live rock since bio-load is low.

I second this. I always put extra stuff in the back of my filter for new tanks. Buy some sponge or foam material or whatever and let it get some bacteria built up on it and then just put it in the qt tank and instant cycle. The prime or amqueal (spelling?)and nove aqua would also work for three weeks.

sgould
Just for clarification...

As long as you are not medicating the QT, just take a couple of good sized pieces of live rock from the main tank and place in the QT during the new fishes quarantine period.

That aside...keeping a sponge filter seeded and ready to go is a great way to go also.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Tumbleweed
Replies
Views
Dewclaw83
Replies
Views