Questions about new tank and fish transfer

SingingFish

Hi!
I’m excited to have planted a second tank today and will start to cycle it. It is a 10 gallon Top fin that I will be moving some guppies into from my other tank. I have a few questions:

1.Even though I rinsed the new plants, should I treat the tank with Ich-X and/or Expel-P prior to adding fish just to be safe?

2. I will be separating male and female guppies into separate tanks. The females are currently pregnant. Would it make more sense to move the males to minimize the stress on the females?

3. Finally, I am fighting brown algae/diatoms in my first tank. What precautions should/can I take to reduce the risk of transferring that into the new tank with the fish?

Thank you for your thoughts!

New and current tank pictures

ProudPapa

1. I probably wouldn't bother, unless you have reason to suspect a problem with the source of the plants.
  2. Maybe, but I don't know that it will matter.
  3. Brown algae/diatoms are pretty common in new tanks, and usually clears up after a few weeks. I doubt it would transfer to the established tank, but if you're concerned about it just don't put anything (net, hand, etc) back in the old tank after it's been in the new one. For example, you could catch all the fish you want to move and put them into a clean container with water from the original tank instead of putting them directly into the new tank. Move them to the new tank after catching all of them. That way you wouldn't be going back and forth from one tank to the other with your net.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
LagerthaM
  • Question
Replies
Views
SingingFish